close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smallmouth fishing

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Floater, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

I was wondering if anyone has been having much luck smallie fishing lately in the rivers. I went out today and hit Caesar Creek spillway and the LM for awhile and got skunked. I haven't had much luck at all this fall catching them. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what baits to use and stuff like that. I've heard this is a good time of year for them but I haven't had much luck this fall, I'm not sure if I'm not fishing the right water or using the right baits or just been out on bad days. I've mainly fished Caesar Creek and the LM around Waynesville and been using crankbaits, in-line spinners, and jigs.

2. Just a little tip. Even if smallmouth are more active in cold water than say a largemouth, I don't think a crankbait would come to mind to throw in December. I would go and buy me some small tubes and grubs, small jigheads and work them through the deepest pools I could find as slowly as I could. Just my thoughts....

Eric

3. wader

wader Fishing Fool

Have you ever tried Yum! brand soft plastic craws? i like to rig them with a 1/8 to 1/4 oz. jig head depending on the current and just drag them slowly across the bottom. As far as i am concerned, there is no other smallmouth bait.

4. juniormintz

juniormintz 4-Mile Fanatic

last week i caught an 18" smallie on a bomber fat A 1/4 oz brown craw color out of my favorite creek. i just reel slower than i normally would. The fish will definitly be slower and less responsive but they still need to eat so if you give them something that looks real tasty they are going to eat it. I dont think it matters what bait you use just present it slower than you would in early fall or summer. You might even want to go to live minnows under a bobber or tip a jig with them.

5. Floater

Floater Floatin' on by

Hey thanks for the tips guys, I will give those a try.

6. catking

catking Banned

Hey Floater- send me a pm and we can chat about the smallies. I use shallow running crank baits only. And do quite well, even where you fish ;) The funny thing is only one type produces m and I've thrown many at them. I caught the " 10.25 " hybrid and several smallies ( one was 18/12 ") the same day in your area. Pm me buddy.............. CATKING :)

7. why not share it with us catking. just kidding
    Hey maybe we could schedule a cold weather outing for eveyone on one of the streams. Why should the warm weather months get all the attention.

8. catking

catking Banned

You need help with smallies Walter, like I need a hole in my head :D You do quite well up that a ways . The smallies aren't doing so well this winter as in the past. Been getting mostly LM bass , not that I'm complaining :D This year has been off from the past few. My brother caught ZERO hybrids, and usually catches 4-5 a trip. He is starting to get a few nice smallies, but still, most bass have been LM bass. We have found that around the last of December, it's time to put the gear up , as only live bait fish close to the bottom will get the smallies ....... THE CATKING !!!

9. I have a few crazy friends back in wv that will be on the new or greenbrier in january or feb. The first 40 day after a few weeks of cold and they will bust ice to launch their boat. the funny thing is that all of them have true trophies with this method. Find deep holes and fish the rapids coming into them. A clay bank seems to be their best area. They can keep this trip to them self. Snow is falling it is time to be behind the dog on point for me.