close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Smallmouth Bass Guide

Discussion in 'Northwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by djkoerbe, Feb 18, 2005.

1. I am looking to take a trip to the Port Clinton area for a smallmouth trip. When are the best times go and can you recommend any guides?
    Thank You

2. We had a good time with Capt. Bob Troxel last year. The fishing was ok. We fished the first day after a front that kept everyone off the lake for two days. He worked real hard to get us on fish and kept us out for long day. He is mentioned a lot in the Lake Erie Smallmouth book by Mark Hicks if you are familiar with that. We have another trip scheduled with him this year.

http://www.lakeeriesmallmouth.com/

Joel

3. i would probably repost this in the lake erie fishing forum. you will get a lot more responses about charters or guides. may/june is the best fishing for sure but good through out the summer.

4. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

I prefer april for smallies but conditions for man are alot nicer in may, we have a no posession in ohio waters now so you can't keep any bass between the end of apr till july.
    The Bass islands off port clinton can be great and I would suggest the same guide(Bob Troxel) as joel mentioned, he has been on the lake a long time, has won tournies on the lake and has a nice 30' lake boat, he will put you on fish, check out the link joel posted.
    If you want to catch more 4/6lb fish go east to presque isle in erie pa or to pelee island in canada, both places not much further and the fish average size is larger.
    Good Luck

5. Crib reef in september, hard to beat!!!!