Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:this may be a stupid question so please bear with me. how are you guys fishing grubs for the river smallies? every time i try i end up loosing 3 or 4 on the bottom, give up and try something else. whenever i do use grubs i use the common 3 inch grub on 1/8 oz. jig head setup. the only time i have success with a grub is when i use it as a trailer on a bitsy bug jig. i even have the same trouble with tubes just not as bad. i want to kepp tryin this method because i know for some people it's their go-to lure. anyways, thanks for the help.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Well scappy I thought I was the only one that posts on saturdays. Reel them fast is the key. Try to avoid councing them on bottom and you might see some better results.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help. actually im bored at home and was about to go out for an hour or two. i'll give it a shot.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
Lucky you, I am stuck at work for 12 hrs. Just try a fast steady retrieve and don't touch bottom and see what happens. Let me know.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use those fluke jigs and bend the hook point in some so I can rig them Texas weedless style. Works like a charm for me. Weights size I use is 1/8 or 1/16. I use these type of jigs with both tubes and grubs. Hope this helps.

·
SMB and Saugeyes.
175 Posts
If you're fishing shallow water, cast straight in front of you and reel upstream. Retrieving against the current will help keep it off the bottom.

·
Just some guy
310 Posts
I have the same problem. Glad you asked the question because I've been meaning to. I try to rig them texas as much as possible while still retaining their shape - ends up being almost a 45 deg angle to the jig head. Don't know if that ruins presentation but if I don't do that I get stuck every cast. A fast retrieve can prevent getting stuck, but sometimes you need to let it sit for a second to attract attention. The prob I run into even with texas is if I don't cheat he hook point a tiny bit, it hurts my hook-up ratio, but if I cheat the hook point too much, stuck city. It's definitely annoying. I was once told always retrieve with the current so that's the first I've heard about going against the current.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I texas rig senko's, but I fish my tubes on 1/16 jig heads with the hook exposed like normal, bounce it over the bottom and rarely snag. I keep the rod tip pretty high and the best tip is braid, I can straighten out the hook if it does get stuck.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i just got back. the fast retrieve did help. i didn't catch anything on the grub but i didn't break off any either so that's good. i did manage to catch 2 dinks on a crank. i was fishin an area of big darby i've never fished before and i was just glad to be out. thanks a lot for everybody's great advise. gives me some new ideas to try out.

·
Multi Species Angler
6,190 Posts
An easier way would be to buy some 4/0 or 5/0 EWG Gamakatsu worm hooks and rig the grub weedless on that. You want a 4-5" grub. You could fish it weightless or maybe peg a bullet weight to it. I forget how to peg the weight, but I am sure someone will explain it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
river fishing is usually pretty bad for snags in general. however wading or floating you can usually go over and de- snag yourself. as far as what crittergetter was talking about, here are the options im aware of. you can tie on a bullet sinker with a weedless 5/0 hook in a 5 inch twister. you can set the bullet sinker 8-14inches up the line by wedging a toothpick into the backside of the bullet sinker. this will allow for alittle more action in the current. but if you want to toss it more like like a lead head twister combo just move the bullet all the way down to the top of the twister and use the toothpick the same way (dont forget to cut off the excess toothpick).
another thing i should add is when you rig weedless like this it can lead to some missed hook sets. 2 things to do that will help with that. when you texas rig the twister, run the hook all the way through the plastic and then back it up so the hook point is in the body. by doing this you create a tunnel for the hook to slide through which makes for a quicker hookset. the other thing is setting the hook hard. exposed trebles on cranks etc make for an easy hookset but with this you really have to lay into him.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i went on on bass pro's website yesterday and they have a slew of weedless jig heads. i like the worm hook and pegged weight idea because of the action it can produce. actualy i was watching north american fisherman a few months ago and they were talkin about pegging weights. they were using a rubber peg that was a few inches long started off at a small point and thickened as it got to the top. use it just like a toothpick but it doesn't get soggy and it's easier to manage, i guess. well thanks again for more ideas. you guys have been a real help. never thought there could be so many options with a curly piece of plastic and a bent piece of steel. :D

·
Banned
798 Posts
All I use is 3 inch grubs on 1/8 oz heads. No matter what, you'll still get hung up how much you use them, I easily lose two-three each trip out. Bouncing them off the bottom is sometimes the key as you get the reaction strikes when fishing the currents. I use a 7 foot rod that's pretty flexible, and I prefer to reel them back ultra slow to medium to present the lure more to the fish, bouncing the bait up and over all rocks. The longer rod lets me feel the grub on the bottom, and lets me easily lift the grub up over hang up points/rocks. Don't give up, and if you're wading, just walk out to hang up and get it.

·
Banned
2,976 Posts
try 1/16 oz, not 1/8 oz. I use 1/8 (or heavier) when the river is up a foot or two. When the flows are at the summer levels and low like they tend to be now, 1/16 work best. I mostly use renegade brand or arkie brand tube insert heads. They are the ones with large hooks and run 6 for about $1.40 in a package at wally world (sometimes they are out of stock). I use 3" or 4" grubs on them.

·
Amateur legend
3,009 Posts
1/16 long shank you want the lure to make contact with the bottom ocassionaly but not constatnly if you feel tap tap tap while your reelign try something lighter. you want a tap evrey once in a while. also keeping the rod tip up helps also

·
Registered
99 Posts
Good information, I like trying to catch fish on as many different presentations as possible to give me lots of options. Had never had any luck with grubs, but got my first few fish on them last night. Thanks guys.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts