Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
My buddy Justin was kind enough to recommend me an accessible spot on the Olentangy to fish. I was fishing around a bridge under a dam and the current was insanely fast, but I still managed to pull out a couple nice fish. I shattered my previous PB smallie with a chunky 2 lb 6 oz fish that I caught on a squarebill and I managed to land a 7-8 lb carp using a twister tail haha.

·
Urban Angler
6,295 Posts
Youre killing it man! nice work. Do you find a fast retrieve with a loud bait (spinner bait, crank) always works well in swift and turbid river water during the summer?

·
47 Posts
Nice work. Especially considering the conditions. Funny when you asked the one guy why he's not fishing. It's probably because he lives there. Always interesting meeting the "locals" in that area.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Nice vid. I enjoyed it.

Glad I'm not the only one who talks to his fish, lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,896 Posts
Were you using that Antares reel?? If so i am jealous!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Youre killing it man! nice work. Do you find a fast retrieve with a loud bait (spinner bait, crank) always works well in swift and turbid river water during the summer?
Yeah I can almost always catch fish on loud baits in turbid water, you just need to retrieve the lure by places the fish are likely to hide. With the water being so fast and murky, the fish will only have a split second to decide whether or not to bite, so you end up generating a reaction strike fishing this way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice work. Especially considering the conditions. Funny when you asked the one guy why he's not fishing. It's probably because he lives there. Always interesting meeting the "locals" in that area.
Haha yeah, when I walked back when I was done fishing that area, that guy was in a tent in the woods sleeping, no doubt he lived there.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Soon you too will come over to the dark side and become a carp angler!

They are so fun!

Carpe Diem
Nothing wrong with being a carp angler, they certainly put up a heck of a fight. One of my good friends from Philly enjoys fishing for carp more than any other species. His favorite joke is, "Why is a carp called a carp? Because fighting them will give you carpal tunnel."

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Were you using that Antares reel?? If so i am jealous!!
Haha wow you have quite an eye for reels. Well you are only half correct. It is an antares class reel, but it is really an antares dc. Believe or not, I somehow persuaded my parents to buy it from me when I was 12 and its the only reel I've used since, hence my username haha. It went strong for 9 years but last year I had to send it to the shop to get repaired, its in perfect condition again and I'm hoping that it'll last at least another 7 or so until it needs another tune up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very impressive! I've never (looks at all the other anglers, knowing this might catch me some heat) used lures or anything. Want to learn but not sure what to start with.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Baller Member
923 Posts
Very impressive! I've never (looks at all the other anglers, knowing this might catch me some heat) used lures or anything. Want to learn but not sure what to start with.

start in a pond that you know holds fish and use some soft plastics (a nice texas rigged senko or swim worm works well), simple smaller rapalas, or some spinner baits and get a feel for how they work in the water. I say start at a pond because those places are usually easier to catch fish than say a river or lake where you have to scout cover..

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I definitely agree with starting in a pond, I'm going to have a video up later today of some pond fishing I did, you may want to consider fishing there if you live nearby. In addition to the suggestions that Mike offered, I would also recommend trying a topwater lure like a popper or buzzbait under low light conditions. Once you witness a good topwater strike, you'll be addicted to lure fishing!

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
cant go wrong with a rooster tail. My favorite is curly tail grub, or a joshy swimbait on 1/8 oz jig head. You can catch quite few fish with those three artificial lures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That meant to say live*. If anyone wants to suggest anything, I'm not asking for your honey spot, just somewhere with fish and easy access. You can pm me.

·
47 Posts
That meant to say live*. If anyone wants to suggest anything, I'm not asking for your honey spot, just somewhere with fish and easy access. You can pm me.

Do a quick search on here with the terms Pond+renoldsberg

Also, just look on google maps for ponds near your area and check them out for yourself, you will feel more rewarding finding the spot all on your own rather than getting it from someone else. If there are not any posted no trespassing signs or fences keeping you out then you should be safe to fish.

Outside your area, Dublin and Hilliard on the west side of town are pretty good at maintaining their ponds not to mention they have a ton of them so if you're not having any luck in the pond you're at the next one is usually only 2 minutes away.

As for lure selection, the baits mentioned above should be a great start for you, be sure to make your rigs weedless as a lot of these ponds will have some great weed beds to flip. If you have questions about what a texas rig senko or any of the other baits just google image search it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
There is a pond and big walnut for stream fishing

In Pond top water lures, lots of snags
in stream anything that looks like a crayfish will work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts