Smallie Report

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by crittergitter, Jul 12, 2008.

1. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

I got to get out on a popular central Ohio flow this morning with my best friend. He and I hadn't fished together this year since end of March as he has been working first mate on the Erie charters nearly every weekend.

We found the water to be a little high and quite stained, but fishable. We covered a lot of water and mostly threw spinnerbaits at them. We both tried an inline spinner at one point in time, but abandoned it as it didnt seem to show up at all in those coditions. So, the rule of the day was a bright spinnerbait. I was throwing charteruesse/white and he was throwing white. We ended up with 8 and lost a couple. It was a slow pick as the fish seemed scattered. No single great spot produced more than 1 fish. Also, every fish but one was right on the seem of the current. The 1 oddball fish was laying at the back of a tailout. The better ones went 17.5", 16" & 15.5". I might try to post a pic later.

CG

2. crittergitter

Here's a pic of the nicest one of the day:

[​IMG]

CG

3. Nice fish, seems like the water has been stained for awhile.

4. Very nice!! That's a chunky momma right there!
    Should I assume that was the same "bright spinnerbait" we saw the other day when the Water Cops checked us...maybe on the same popular flow?
    If it was, did you find Kevin's tackle bag? LOL!!! I'm gonna find that farger soon enough and steal all the War Eagles out of it before I return it...."I dunno man. That's wierd, everything's here except your blades....."
    Glad you got out and gave 'em heck.
    The rest of the boys are floating right now up north. Couldn't go, bit I think Hendershot and I are heading up to another flow tomorrow for some fun.

I've been out on and off this week for a few wading trips. The seams are definately where they have been hiding at dusk and dawn, and the tailouts in the waning and waxing hours.

How early did you guys get out?

5. crittergitter

I got there at 5:45, but my buddy slept in and did not arrive until 6:30. We worked that stetch you took Jimmy and I to last summer. We didn't have to get out of the canoe once on this float. It was good to get out with Scott.

CG

6. pizza

pizza

nice phattie! I know where you were ;)

7. Looking at that same stretch tomorrow. Same deal, O-dark thirty.
    Might hit a different one now that you sored up all their lips.;)
    Me, Dagga and Stuckie, I think.

8. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

Haha... I just now got my replacement license and registration so I am LEGAL to operate the yak again. A couple new baits too, and some tools, headlamps, terminal tackle... ugh. Good work there Kyle... you definitely know how to sling those blades.

9. Good job Kyle great looking fish. My buddy and i got out other day hit 2 16" ones first hole start going up river and the boomers started. Will be hitting it again real soon. Got ours on to water pop-r and torpedo. Keep it up.:)

10. We ended up changing our plans just a tad. Everyone woke up Sunday am with a hangover so the float got pushed back to the evening.
    I spent the day with the kiddies and hit a pond. Lots of gills and a few bass:
    [​IMG]

Then Stuckie and I hit a flow for the evening. What a beautiful night to be on the water. The fatties had the feed bag on: (Crappy pics. I never cary a camera but sometimes I'll bust out the cell phone for a few pics. I had to quit as my phone started to get some serious fish slime/stink on it.) But we got into lots of 16-18" fish. I think the largest was 18.5".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We also saw a buck on the side of the river. Oh my !!!! Stuckie will verify but it was one of the tallest and widest 8 pointers I've seen in a long time. The brows were probably 8-9" long and the rest of the rack was perfectly symmetrical. It would be Ohio Big buck for sure....maybe in the 150-160" range....and it aint quite done growing yet either.

All in all a great weekend to be on the water.

11. crittergitter

Sweet! Good looking water there Andy(it aint the soup we fished Saturday). I was hoping you would post your results. Did you get em slingin blades or on plastic? I may have Wednesday off and I am thinking of heading north to that clear water flow that I like so much.

I try to avoid thinkin about big bucks this time of year because 9/27/08 is still to far off and it makes me crazy. I bet it was cool seein a bute like that though!!!!

CG

12. Blades.
    At one point, I missed one on the blades and went back after him with a weightless plastic and Wham!, he was right on.
    I ended up pulling a few more off the same "feature" on the plastics, and switched back to the blades and kept on catching.
    But the blades were what they seemed to want most of the evening.

13. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Great evening and nice float. The buck Was HUGE, velvet still fresh, might grow some more. I got "Home Schooled" by Andy, It was rock bass day for me for awhile, then near the end of the float I got a respectable SM on, you guessed it, white spinner. We also saw a heron catch and eat a 8" or so fish beside the buck, which was on the bank as we passed. Props go to Andy for saving my 2 nice baitcasting setups, laid them on the ground(it was roughly 10pm) and another truck missed running over them at the reels and tips by millimeters, he yelled and got the guy to stop rapidly, I stood there in shock. Can't wait for next weekend.
    Mike

14. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

I wade/floated some clear water up north Sunday. If we are talking about the same river (depends on how north you are talking about) the water was indeed clear but MOVING. By Wednesday it should be ideal. Take some of those tandem willows =)

15. Oh man, I had forgotten about the rods and reels.
    Another truck was coming by us at the take-out, it was pretty much dark by then, and I see him heading right for Stuck's two rigs...one was a brand new rod and reel....probably $300 per set up.
    Anyway, I see it Juuust in time to scream "STOP!!" and wave my arms and the guy just slams on the brakes...literally less than 1/2 inch from crushing both reels...the ones on the rods.
    That would've sucked.
    And after sending a kayak through Dagga's rear window the weekend before, I may have started running out of dudes to float with if your set ups got schmooshed.

16. StuckAtHome

Yea, that would have sucked, but at least we found a tackle box full of great gear, wonder if it fell off some kayakers boat when he wasn't paying attention.....

17. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

[​IMG]

This is what happens to dudes who poach my Lucky Crafts and War Eagles Mike. Don't let this happen to you.

18. StuckAtHome

LOL, I thought I would get a reply from ya. Somebody had a field day when they found your "box' I bet, bad news the idiots have no idea how much each of those LC's cost. I feel for ya, it took me a few minutes to calm down when my rods almost were crushed, losing all my tackle I don't want to think about.

19. pizza

pizza

heading out...

20. pizza

pizza

was casting by about 5:15. Fished faster flowing water/riffles about 2-3 feet deep. First cast yielded a nice channel. Within the first 10 minutes I also had a nice smallie. That was really nice as I haven't been catching many this year, especially bigger ones. The best fishing was from about 5:15 until 6 then it really died real quickly. Caught 3 smallies(other two were small), 2 or 3 channels in first 45 minutes. Then from 6-8 or I caught 1 white crappie about 10", a couple rockies(one really big), a largemouth about 10", and maybe another channel and smallie. Everything was caught on homemade cranks. Fished a buzzbait for about 20 minutes and got 2 strikes, one decent one. Went to another spot and got zilch. I think the fish moved deeper about 6 am as normally I can fish this spot for hours and catch fish. Didn't feel like swimming though today.

I would say your best bet is crack of dawn. Set yourself up so that you are casting in the dark at 5:15. Or sooner.

Attached Files: