Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do the smaller smallies fight on ultra light tackle? im talkin 65 yds of 6 lb test, and a 4ft 6in super flexible ugly stik...i got one small one b4 but it was on my giant ugly stik when i was catfishing one day

·
Registered
243 Posts
I would think you should have a pretty good time on that. I was just up in Canada and caught some little ones on a ultra light drop shot rod with 6lb test on a little shimano stella reel and it was alot of fun. They are one of the stronger fighting freshwater fish out there IMO so should be fun for you.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
That will easily work for you. I've caught some 13-15 inch smallies in the fast water on a 4 lb test ultra light with no problem. I've even landed some pike with it. It's all in the drag.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
My UL setup is a 5' 5" Shimano Clarius rod, Shimano Stradic 1000, 4lb Stren XL mono. An 8" smallie puts up a good fight on it. But the setup is capable of pulling in big fish.

·
Registered
841 Posts
My ultralite setup is a 4'8" UL ugly stick w/ a Mitchell 300X Spinning reel. I really have a good time w/ the rock bass and the smallies in the creeks! It will work just fine for you!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Just take it nice and easy and you'll have a blast. I caught a nice 3 pounder on my ultralight set up a few weeks back.

·
Trying to pull it in!!!!
405 Posts
My Mini Pinacle reel and some unknown telescoping rod I use with 4 lb line really brings in the blood rush when I catch gill or small bass. I definatly had a noticable differance just recently when that was the only outfit I had in my trunk one day.
Im gonna do it more often, it was a blast..!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx for the feedback guys...lookin forward to breakin it in this week...hopefully i hook into something big

·
Registered
155 Posts
You will have a blast.That is all I use is ultra lite w/6lb.Catching the smallies in kent is great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts