Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy folks, proverbial long time reader first time poster here. Transplanted from Nebraska a couple years ago and finally starting to get my lines wet again.

My parents are comming to visit me in the middle of June and had expressed interest in some Erie fishing. I thought that time of year there should be some smallmouth action available. My question then, is a) is the smallie fishing still good then, and b) does anyone have a recommendation for a guide/charter for smallmouth? I live in Cleveland, so that's where we'll be staying, but its not a problem to get up early and drive 90 minutes or so. I suspect there will be between 2-4 of us, depending on if my mother can be talked in to it or not.

It's a wonderful forum you have here, thank you in advance for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, perhaps someone could at least educate me simply on whether its worth it to try for smallmouth on Erie at that time? Additional advice on where and good guides/charters would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Yes, the smallie fishing can be quite good at this time of year. Try to locate a copy of Lake Erie Smallmouth Fishing by Mark Hicks- (I think). It is a very informative resource. The key is to find areas with a rock bottom with some change in the structure/depth. Good charter captains will know where to go for smallies. The SEASON FOR KEEPING SMALLMOUTH IS CLOSED UNTIL THE END OF JUNE on Erie. Some of the better locations are the ruggles beach area, avon, and conneaut. They have the areas which tend to hold bass. The key will be what depth they will be holding based on the H20 temps.

good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts