Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a spot on the scioto but it's maybe a foot and a half deep max is that too shallow for smallies? I'm reading alot about people catching them with spinners and tubes I'm just curious as to whether that's too shallow or does it really not matter?

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a spot on the scioto but it's maybe a foot and a half deep max is that too shallow for smallies? I'm reading alot about people catching them with spinners and tubes I'm just curious as to whether that's too shallow or does it really not matter?

No that's not too shallow for this time of year. Try using top water baits as well. Target water just below runs.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
There are a lot of spots on the river that I fish that when I wade I am in water just over my ankles...and the holes I am throwing to rarely get over my waist.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd say that's plenty deep, if its the deep cut along the bank or has some cover to it. If its just a big open flat with no cover, you probably won't catch much. I like to think at evening/night that the flats are crawling with smallies hunting crawdads

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,180 Posts
It's plenty deep, but whether it holds fish is a different question. If that's one of the deeper spots in a given stretch, it might hold fish, especially if there is structure nearby, like big rocks or boulders, overhanging limbs, etc. Smallies are tough to see unless they are moving, which is when you see their flash. Toss a tube in there and wait to see what happens...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well there's plenty of crawfish there and I've seen one jump but not sure if it was a bass or a carp but I might try that tonight and see if I get anything I've never caught anything out of the river except for catfish but nothing over 4.5 pounds >.<

1 - 9 of 9 Posts