close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smallie on the lmr today.

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by xmatthewx, Feb 4, 2008.

1. xmatthewx

xmatthewx facebook.com/xmsdx8

with the warmer weather today i decided to go out this afternoon and see what i could pull out. still in search of my first bass of the year, i went to the lmr and i ended up only catching one. 17.5 inches long weighed 2 and a half pounds. so, even though i only caught one, that's still a heck of a way to start the new year. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nice bass matt ..lets get together this week for some more smallmouth action or maybe some trout

3. pendog66

pendog66 It swims its bait

congrats on the nice fish

4. what did you get him on?

5. xmatthewx

dragging and hopping a tube jig across the bottom.

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Very nice fish. I'm always impressed by the photos of smallies people post out of the LMR. I'm quite sure I havn't fished it as much as most of you, but I've never even came close to landing a smallie that size out of the little miami.

I probably adverage 10 inches a fish... with the biggest MAYBE being 13 or 14 inches. I hope to catch a larger one this year, but am very intersted in how you guys go about catching these "quality" smallies. I almost exclusivly use 2 2 3/4 inch tubes - generally catch a good hand full of spots and smallies, but again rarely any size to'em. I fish the Milford area mostly.

7. Sleprock

Sleprock fishing cabrewer

fishman you wadeing or fishing out of boat canoe?

my ? is anyone canoeing down these rivers right now?

i never had much luck fishing rivers before floating them

no i would say you find the right spot in the lmr and you will pull big ones?

these areas seem to hold bigger fish.

not gonna say what kinda spot i talking about.

floated gmr 1 from dam below dpl to middletown once and all i cought where

big cats and small smallmouth

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

throw a 4" tube, it might seem big but you will still catch an ok number of fish with the bigger ones mixed in.

9. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

Slep....you know me and rblake are still floating in the Yak....have only missed a few weekends since last spring....even throughout this winter we go if it is fishable. I have been doing the fishing...Rob is doing the catching!

10. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Nice EARLY season smallie!

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Generally speaking I float it on a canoe from on of the local liverys. None are open that I know of this time of year, so I can honestly say I've never fished it this time of year.

12. xmatthewx

thanks... i was real excited to pull that one out of there today.

13. xmatthewx

i'm heading back out there today with a friend. hopefully we will have some pictures when we return.

14. id make some calls before heading out, the LMR here in beavercreek is well over the banks and i know Valley and Trebein Road are closed right now cause of the high water. congrats on the earlie smallie.

15. xmatthewx

yeah it was rediculous out there today. up real high. we decided to stay and just throw a couple anyway. no luck, but, it was better than just sitting inside today in my opinion.

16. I know I'm late to the party, but wanted to add my congratulations - that's a really nice early-season smallie!

17. xmatthewx

18. Tall cool one

Tall cool one strictly flyfishing

[QUOTE=Sleprock

"i never had much luck fishing rivers before floating them "

Slep,are you saying you don't catch much when you float a river? Hmmm. my favorite way to cherry pick all the sweet spots as well as an excellent way to scout new or long stretches of river.
    It can be diffcult in a yak or canoe as they move so fast and don't anchor well. I use a drift boat as you can get up and walk around the boat,hitting all the good spots on the river. It moves slower than the curent the way it's designed and can be oared to a dead stop in fast current by one guy while the other fishes, taking turns on oars/rod.
    You know,its cuz of some of you guys I took to fishing the lower river(grew up fishing Clifton to Xenia) on the LMR and I gotta say there's a ton of fish in there.I suspect a lot of those are migrants from the OR but a decent # of residents.BTW,I read a rpt on saugers in the OR by the dnr doing telemetry(radio tagging) studies) and they found sauger can migrate 25-30 mi in one wk. Anyway,LMR,a good place to put some serious #'s on the bank.But, I will say,my homewater GMR smallies still avg bigger(15-17") although the variety of gamefish are not as numerous as it's mostly smallies w/ some minor players thrown in,ie,saugeyes,rockbass,LMB,crappie and the rare pike.
    I really like the LMR for those stripers and hybrids that run up it,those are the most fun of all,IMHO,TC1

19. LMRsmallmouth

LMRsmallmouth LMR Master Angler

"It can be diffcult in a yak or canoe as they move so fast and don't anchor well."

I have heard this same remark numerous times from MANY folks on this site and I still don't understand where folks feel that way. I was predominately a bank and wade angler for 7 yrs and then started throwing in a few canoe trips, which made a world of difference as I could now cover MILES of water instead of 1/2 mile or so I would wade. In the canoe I would mainly use it for transportation from A-B stopping to get out and wade. This was great....and then I discovered the Kayak! I cannot understand how people have trouble fishing out of the YAK. It has now become the ONLY way I want to fish. Extremely stable and maneuverable along with the fact it is as comfortable as sitting on my couch. Heck, now take an 8 mile or so trip and I rarely even get out as it is so maneuverable and quiet that I can fish better out of it than on the bank. I am sure a drift boat is a nice option too, but it sure is nice being able to transport a couple of yak's in the back of a truck, I can carry it in 1 hand and it is so easy to get in and out of (I use a SOT model). I haven't found much use for an anchor so I dont use one, it is really easy to paddle 1 handed and unless the current is really flowing I can stop and hover even in current. If the current is too strong to paddle backwards to hover, I would not want to use an anchor anyway as that is dangerous in current. For all around versatility and ease of use, I cant see beating a YAK. IMHO of course!

I believe Slep was saying he has much better luck now that he is floating instead of stuck on the bank or wading, which I totally agree with.