Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Fishing addict
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what kind of luck everyone is having fishing for smallies on the maumee in the Waterville or Grand Rapids areas. I have yet to head down that way yet but I will very shortly. Thanks

·
Registered
643 Posts
Try near buttonwood or Jermone Rd i had some good luck there last year. I never really got into them at the Grand Rapids area but on the other side I had a few good days. FFBG

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice to see you checking in on us FFBG.
Hope you are doing well out west.

Water levels have been screwy this year, it is still a bit high at Waterville. Should be on the way down, and will get better with a short wait.

·
can't land em Teddy
350 Posts
Caught a couple of decent smallies using rebel craw and green tubes on Monday. Clarity is pretty good. Water is piss warm.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Nice to see you checking in on us FFBG.
Hope you are doing well out west.

Water levels have been screwy this year, it is still a bit high at Waterville. Should be on the way down, and will get better with a short wait.
Hey no problem, I still check the forum every few days to see whats going on back in ohio. Man I sure do miss fishing rivers, i have to drive a good 3 hours to get to one.

I am really enjoying in out here, the way of life here is to simple and sufficent. Check out the out of state forum I posted some pics from my advneture in southern Colorado. Take care guys FFBG

·
Registered
220 Posts
Got out and hit Weir Rapids today and it was rough. Thought the level and clarity looked really good too. Caught one decent sm prolly 14" or so on a white grub. Not a single bite the rest of the day. I don't know what's goin' on, the river has not been nearly as good to me this year as in the past. Seems to be more pressure this year. I can usually count on a few Sheepsheads to keep it interesting. Oh well, at least i didn't get skunked. I plan on hittin' a few spots tomorrow with a buddy, will post results...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I was down there in Weir Rapids just after it rained last week, in past years have done quite well there for smallies---
I didn't even get a hit---I know there is more fishing pressure there----The only think I can think of is that people are keeping the good sized fish---- Either due to the economy or just out of pure and simple greed because they actually caught something. Course there are those that will eat anything they catch----Anyways the water was ideal clarity and temp---I even told my gf it was ideal conditions---Boy I felt like 2 inches tall when I came back and said I caught nothing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yep i used to have some great days there. Hooked and lost an absolute monster there late october last year, it's haunted my dreams ever since. I guess it's time to get a kayak and explore some water away from public access spots. I'm sure you're right about the economy being partially to blame because there were people on just about every good spot on a tuesday afternoon. In past years you could have the whole place to yourself on a weekday.
On a lighter note, i went to the dam at Mary Jane Thurstin yesterday and caught a giant drum and a 26" channel in the scour hole within a half hour of being there. Say what you will about Sheepshead, but i love 'em when they get big. That was some drag screamin' battle. I spose i should just give up on Maumee smallies and target the rough fish...

·
1,319 Posts
Don't be discouraged, just get off the beaten path and you will find your fish. Smallies have a good population in the river, the only thing that stinks about fishing on maumee is the lack of river access due to a large amount of it being private property. Plus, I can confirm that I have seen a large increase in fishing pressure in all public fishing access areas as well. Just stick with it and you may get your monster smallie.:)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
One reason also for the lack of smallie action is that those flatheads sre capable and willing to eat just about any size bass that they want to.We used to catch a jot of smallies well up river from Weirs Rapids.I've talked to a few of the guys that fished it with me and they all say as well as I that the big cats are just eating them up.

·
1,319 Posts
I wouldn't put all of the blame on the flatheads. A flatheads diet mostly consists of gizzard shad then comes sunfish and suckers. Smallmouth are not the preferred prey of flatheads but that is not to say that they won't eat them if given the opportunity. There have been many studies to see if flatheads discriminate against which baitfish it likes the best. Most of the findings supports the theory that flatheads will eat whatever is most prevelant in the river. I've also caught smallmouth and flatheads out of the same hole on the same day before.

·
1,319 Posts
Now the article in the Toledo blade about the 38 inch catfish that tried to eat a 20 inch small mouth was a little misleading too. The article made it sound that the catfish tried to eat the smallmouth. But what I suspect what had really happened was that the smallmouth got too close to the catfish's nest where it was protecting its eggs and the catfish retaliated. The flatheads have been on spawn about a week or two before the 4th and is just now ending. When flatheads are on their beds they will attack anything that they see as a threat. How do you think guys go noodling? (Which noodling is illegal in Ohio)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Fish the maumee yesterday evening for smallies. Got 13 of various sizes but nothing over 15". #7 Floating rapala minnow color was the ticket. Also caught 5 small cats and onr gar.

As I was stadning out in the river a couple of guys canoed past me. One said "want to see something" I said "'Yes" he reached down in the the canoe and hoists up about a 22" Steelhead! Said he got it on a doll fly by Jerome Rd. It was healthy looking fish, nice and silver. I have caught them before in the river but not in mid-July.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Norm,
Nice catching u must have been down river from Jerome RD, quite aways from where I was fishing, I know water levels also have an impact on the smallies and where they will hole up etc----Some years back a friend of mine caught a 6 1/2 pd chinnook salmon while we were smallie fishing, at first I thought he had a nice walleye on until I netted it, we had to look in a book to see what it was---lol---pretty kewl stuff, you never know what u might catch or hook into. I think I will wait till fall for a biggie smallie.

Mike

·
Registered
643 Posts
Before I moved me and buddy went out to the grand rapids dam during april in search of some pike and saw a steelhead try to make it over the dam. It was pretty cool to see. I heard of them being caught but would imagine they would be tough to target. FFBG

·
Fishing addict
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went out there for the first time of the year last week. ANd I didn't even get a bite. I went on short notice so I didn't check water levels or anything but the whole area seems so shallow, it was really a wasted fishing trip although I loved being out on the river during the evening.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I fished for an hour at dawn this morning. I caught 1 medium smallie and 10 sheepshead in a little over an hour. I waded to the middle of the rive just below the dam. I don't care much for sheepshead but they were worth it for the smallie. I caught the smallie on a rebel craw. No one else was there and it was great.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Has the water level gone up in the past few weeks? Last time I was there the water level was so low.
There is a gauge under the bridge at Waterville that can be read at several sites online. Here's the one I use:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?04193500

The gauge gives two readings: depth (measured from some point below the bottom of the river) and discharge rate, which is the amount of water flowing past the gauge.

For kayaking and fishing, I use discharge rate, which is presently around 250 cfs (cubic feet per second). That's low. To me, 500 to about 1500 cfs is ideal, though I go at other rates.

Flow rate can change fast, especially at this time of year. Sometimes the reason is obvious and sometimes you can find no clue.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
low water is a great time to hit the maumee for smallies. from sidecut to grand rapids, fish are everywhere. get a pair of polarized sunglasses and look for any shelf or deeper pocket, even if its only 2 feet deep, and below any drop offs that create rapids. The fish will wait for baitfish caught in the current. As of late, i've gone to bigger cranks in crayfish or minnow patterns, preferably ones that dive around two to three feet. Always get more action when i retrieve into the current. other baits like inline spinners, and plastics work too, but there's always the chance you will hang up on rocks. Luckily, low water makes retrieving easy. Don't get caught up on one spot. make a slow walk and hit as much structure as you can find. There's no reason why you should have any problem getting into at least 10 fish in a few hours. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts