close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

smallie action

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by streamstalker, Aug 11, 2007.

1. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I hope these pictures all post okay, but I'm new at it. All of the pictures of my fish, except the one with my foot in the picture, are blurry because my brother does not know how to use a camera. I do not usually count very carefully, but as I was starting off strong today, I kept track. I caught one 12", two 13", three 14", two 15", one 16", 17", & 18" each. My brother caught around eight fish between 14 & 16". We caught a bunch of smaller ones also. We figure we boated around 40 lbs of smallies today...no lie. These are some pictures of just some of them. The 18" fish is not here because it was the first big one I caught and by the time I dug out the camera it really looked like it needed to get back in the water.
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27471&size=big&cat=500
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27467&size=big&cat=
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27465&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27464&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27463&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27462&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27461&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27466&size=big&cat=
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27468&size=big
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27469&size=big&cat=
    http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=27465&size=big&cat=
    Check out the picture of the spider. I saw a plant that looked odd...you can make your own guess as to what it was and I grabbed it and screamed like a girl the next second when I saw the spider and it reared back at me and showed me its fangs. This was several times larger than any spider I have ever seen (outside of a tarantula)...easily had a circumference as large as my palm.

Man...what a day on the stream! Best of all, we had great releases on all of them!

2. Wow! What a day! I might have to take a trip to the Darby!

3. Congratulations..those kind of days are few and far between.

4. Bubba bass bigfoot

Bubba bass bigfoot Lucky Fisher, or skilled?

Nice fish. I was stuck doing yard work lol.

5. StuckAtHome

StuckAtHome Mad SOT YAKER!

Spiders, yuck, you know what I think about them! Nice fish, hope you left a few unhooked there, will be heading that way sunday morning.
    Mike

6. Jesus Christ Santa Maria and I thought fish dont bite this time of year....

If you sometimes need someone to row your canoe let me know :)

I ma going to a little pond to catch another gar (hopefully). I was night fishing on friday at alum for crappies we must have catched over 100 crappies, good size, too, but it quickly get boring. River fishing is much more fun!

7. Hey streamstalker were you in a canoe with a flat transom. I think you guys canoed past me while I was wading with my dog. The smallies were on fire yesterday. I started throwing topwater because the action was so good. Anyways if I see you guys again I'll introduce myself.

8. uh dont wanna be nosy or anything, but where u had this much luck?

9. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

Yep, that was us. I hope we did not disturb your hole too badly. I thought about using some topwater for more excitement, but they were biting what I had so well that I saw no reason to switch. We all ought to wear some OGF identification out there. The last time I went down I ran into an OGF member who also recognized the pictures I posted later that day.

I see that you are a biologist.....I confirmed from a couple of university professors that the spider in my pictures is a "fishing" spider--how appropriate! They actually go underwater to catch minnows. It is guarding its nest in the pictures that I posted.

10. StuckAtHome

If we would have known you guys hit the water that hard, we would have went somewhere else Sunday morning, but thank goodness you left SHWOOKIE and myself some fish. I lost 2 PIGS, within 15 feet of each other, water is so low(as you know) it doesn't take much thought to know where the big dogs lie, getting them to bite is another story. Before July, I was a crankbait guy, thats all I used and did pretty good, but dog days I struggled, now I belong to plastics, inc. and I couldn't be happier. I did fairly well on senkos wacky rigged, but I wanted to try some plastics mad toms( about 2 inches long, pumpkin color) hooked thru the nose with a 1/0 octopus hook( I think this is the best hook for weightless senkos and other heavy plastics, seem to work like circle hooks but you can do regular hook-set). First cast a nice SM nailed it. Did ok numbers wise, things picked up near the middle and end of float, biggest of day was SM a gnat's hair shy of 17", 2 rockies 8 and 9 inches(I want a FO!) and a mess of SM around 12 -15".
    Oh yea and a nasty looking grey/back snake, what are those? Hanging on branch a few inches above the water near the middle of the river. We need some rain, Darby the lowest I have ever seen it, and strange thing is water was A BUNCH cooler than last week, SHWOOKIE measured it last week at 75 I believe, this week had to be around 68-70.
    Here is a few Pics, not the best day for size, but they sure fight good, one thought he was in the high jump, I swear he jumped twice over two feet in the air, almost landed in the yak!
    Mike

Attached Files:

11. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

great reports.....glad everyone is protecting those darby fish.
    lock jaw can be a gud thang :B 16-18-20":B

12. ".....glad everyone is protecting those darby fish. "

I'm glad to see that everyone is enjoying sucess and having a good time.
    The water is LOW LOW LOW right now and very hot. Its an extrememly stressful environment for our lotic friends. Being caught in this heat can add the level of stress that can be fatal....even after a quick release.
    Not that anyone should stop fishing, but maybe naming such a small, fragile flow and suggested tactics on a popular, public fishing forum might not be the best move when the temps are so brutal for the fish.
    That little creek has been through the ringer over the years and the future is starting to brighten up. It would be AWESOME if the creek came back to the way it used to be...but it will ake some cooperaton from those who fish it regularly.
    Possibly, we could share the location of our successes on such a small flow via PM's and emails. Still share pics and stories publically, but save the locational info for the PM's.
    These dog days of August are TOUGH on the fish. Too much pressure and/or cyber-meat-hunters getting the word on a hot flow can be a really bad thing this time of year.

13. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

No need to worry too much about that.
    After an obvious water level and temp drop, its def. not as hot now.
    We went the very next day and struggled.

That stretch does get hammered bad though, always will because of the access to it.

14. You may have missed my point.
    Not everyone who reads this board is a like-minded, conservation-minded, catch and release, help the Darby kind of guy.
    MANY MANY more people just surf through this site from a Google search or something than do that actually post on it. If one were to Google "Darby fish" right now, this thread shows up the third link down.
    That kind of advertising is NOT GOOD for the Daby or her fish.

All I'm suggesting is leaving out the LOCATION information. If someone wants to know which stream you were fishing, now YOU can decide who to share that with, instead of sharing it with anyone with a computer and an internet connection.

It's not always what we do, bt what other people do after hearing what we have to say.

Does that make sense?

15. Holy cow! That's one big spider! I'm sure I would have beat feet out of that area for sure. And that's a nice bunch of smallies you guys caught. Glad to hear they all swam away to fight another day.

16. StuckAtHome

I understand what your saying Andyman, but then what is the point of this site? Most of us never give out locations where we fished, just the river, AND I don't have certain holes, I look for certain conditions that I believe hold fish which are found in most rivers/creeks, and it took me YEARS to get good at finding these places, just because we mentioned the BIG DARBY and showed a few fish that were released to be free, doesn't mean that any fool can show up at any place on the river and clean house. They might be where the fish are, but they need the experience to catch them too, and this time of the year when its stressful to the fish, they are a million times harder to catch. I'm here to share info with like-minded people, and I do not think stating the name of the river I'm fishing OR showing a few nice fish causes any harm. There are always going to be fishermen that don't follow CPR, only way to slow it down is sites like this teaching C & R and showing that you can have a great time fishing without killing fish.
    Mike

17. streamstalker

streamstalker deleted

I did not mean to give out location--I agree with you and have ceased doing that. My post did not say which stream I was on. I named the pics so that I could keep track of them and did not consider that the link would show that--my bad. I edited that out of them. If you read my post, I took care to release them quickly--we had the camera ready as soon as we got them out of the water. You are also right about the heat. I posted that caution a couple of weeks ago in another thread and this is the first time I've been out since then.....couldn't take it any more, and we just had a little bit of rain and a cooler evening.

But in any case, no one posted any honey holes and those fish could have been caught anywhere between Milford Center and Circleville. If someone recognizes a landmark in a photo, then they already know about the place. I sympathize with your position, but where is the line on what is appropriate? If no one posts when they are catching fish, this is going to be a very boring site! The ODNR itself posts quite a bit of info on what is biting when and where. You can see lures in my pictures, but those are very common lures and you can get those tactics from Babe Winkleman or out of any summer issue of Field and Stream.

Anyway, I am glad to see you get back in the fray. I used to enjoy reading your posts and it seems that you stopped posting over just this issue a couple of years back.

18. Stuck,
    "just because we mentioned the BIG DARBY and showed a few fish that were released to be free, doesn't mean that any fool can show up at any place on the river and clean house. They might be where the fish are, but they need the experience to catch them too, and this time of the year when its stressful to the fish, they are a million times harder to catch"

I kind of disagree. It wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where all the big smallies hold in low water. Bring along a boober, some softcraws and some night crawlers, and have a friggin' field day.
    Find the nearest bridge and have at it.

I'm with you Streamstalker. And obviously everyone's line is different. What I can tell you is I've seen some northern stretches of the Scioto be just destroyed by 6-8 guys hitting it almost daily and keeping everything they catch. Not to mention the mountain of trash of bait containers, beer cans and crap brought down by all the other yahoos.

If anyone wants to see for themselves, there's a Smallmouth Alliance river clean up this weekend on the Scioto in Dublin. You won't believe the amount of trash that will come out of a 3 mile strecth. Not to mention all the stories of how good the fishing was just 8-10 years ago before the meathunters moved in.
    The access points haven't changed, the river has always been there....the only thing that really changed was the amount of talk that used to be shared via word of mouth and kept in secrecy, that now shows up on the internet. It's like mass advertising.....it brings in all kinds of folks.

Saturday
    10 am
    Leatherlips, Dublin OH

19. StuckAtHome

I agree with the trash, Big Walnut is a disgrace, but a lot of that trash is just from trash washed into the river, now there is a lot of trash from fishermen too. I'm all for keeping the resource as healthy as possible, I have been involved in MANY creek cleanups over the years, not in the last 10 because of my health. It just bothers that some want to keep this resource for just us fishermen that only practice what we believe in, if someone does good, don't tell anyone, it might get them fishing in "our" river and god help us keep fish, legally, and they have just as much right to do that as we do releasing them. I prefer to release bass but thats me, if its legal, they can do it, I would like to try to educate them on these fragile systems, but if they want fish to eat, who the heck are we to say no? Shouldn't we be happy to get more people fishing, and more than not will see it the way we do and try to protect it for future generations? The money we spend on tackle and other related things goes to buying land along these waterways and other things to protect them. There is always going to be a percentage of people that will not follow the law, and a percentage that will but keep smallmouths, if you have a problem with that, don't try to censor posts, it just makes us hypocrites. The only things I see to do are: Get the laws changed to no keeping of SM-not going to happen, but maybe something like the darby, one 15" a day. Educate people on and off this board, if we help new guys out, not jump on them for asking the "wrong" question, they would be more willing to see CPR is the way we think is good. Shoot any body who fishes for SM with live bait and any lurkers waiting to pounce on my hot spot I mentioned in my post, since it seems they are the whole trouble.(my jab at humor)
    Mike

20. shwookie

shwookie fishing from a kayak

andy,
    I got what you were saying.

I agree 100%, i was just adding that the fishing conditions had drastically been altered.