Ohio Game Fishing banner

Small Walleye

1K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  hearttxp 
#1 ·
I haven’t been out west for over a month. Curious if anyone has been catching throwbacks yet? The 2018&2019 hatches were supposed to be huge so wondering if you are catching them like we did the 2014&15 hatches in 16?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
We were on Kelleys for 8 days last week and fished all over. Caught plenty of eyes but not a one under 18-19 inches. I thought that was odd given the recent hatches. We also didn't catch a fish over 24-25 inches - good eaters. The bigger fish seem not to be near as plentiful as 5-6 years ago or they already spawned and moved east. The water temp was only 51-53 all week but was going up fast as the sun came out and the temps went up on the weekend. And, man, if the little eyes eat midges they should really grow fast!

#9 ·
I have only caught three throwbacks this year out of over 500.Funny thing is I was marking and catching the 2014 and 2015 hatches in 16 and 17 between vermilion and Lorain in April and may Walleye and perch fishing.There were schools of them a 1/4 mile wide and 2 miles long.Im not seeing anything remotely close to this on my graph.I really have my doughts that the 18 and 19 class are as big.I don't care what there trawl samples say.

#14 ·
I checked, those fish may have been a state record. We didn't weigh them just pitched them back but both measured 15 1/2 on my ranger ruler and they were fat. Caught both on bandits. Next time I'll hold on to one - be kinda neat to have a record - even if it is a stinkin, bait-stealin white perch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.