close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Small mouth rods

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Walter Adkins, Mar 13, 2005.

1. I purchased a new reel while at BPS Friday. What brand, and size of spinning rod do you use for smallies?
    I have had the same Pinnacle rod and reel since 94. I had to replace the reel last spring, it just wore out. I put another Pinnacle reel on it and hope to get the same life out of it. Now I am looking for a rod for my new reel.

2. catking

catking Banned

I use a Mitchell 6'6" medium rod and a 6'6" medium heavy BPS rod. They work for me............. THE CATKING !!!

3. I have two of them Ive had for 15yrs and love them. There two piece for storage and such. One is 6-6 and the other is 7-6. Love the smallone for smallies! I can run up to 10lb mono on it.

4. JBJ

JBJ

If you are looking for a good sensitive rod that won't break the bank, check out the All Star Select rods at Dick's Sporting Goods for $60.

5. My favorite is a 20+ year old Shimano XL Fightin' Rod. It's a 6-1/2' Medium light action, 6-15# line and 3/16-5/8oz lures. It handles 6# line very well. I find it ideal for both lures and live bait under a slip float.

6. smallieguy

smallieguy Smallmouth Please

G LOOMIS Bronzeback model SMR882S-SP,Best rod I've ever seen.
    Or a Falcon CARA in 7' ML is $ is the issuse. :)

7. peon

peon account delete

if your lookin to flip jigs and tubes go with a berkley series 1 rod.. 7 foot m.h you will fall in love.. about $80.00 well worth it also..

8. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

If you are fishing Lake Erie you need to get a 7ft rod with a medium to medium heavy action rod. The brand depends on your price range.

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

If your talkgin a light action rod for creek/river wadding I think you cant miss w/ the ST CROIX Premier PS56l 4-8 lb test retails for $80, but I really love my Pinnacle DEAD BOLT GUIDE w/ Titanium Guides IM8 Graphite 4-10 lb test, but I also think I'm going to enjoy using a FALCON rod that I got on clearance @ Wallmart for $25 on Thu night 4-10 lb test

Eithe rof the 1st two rods & a Joes Flies Muddler #8 has produced a couple hundred smallmuoth from Salt Creek & I think all the smallmouth I've caught from the GMR here have been on those two rods as well.

10. RiverRat

RiverRat Banned

St. Croix.....i fish smallies all 12 moths most years, ive used them for years and rate them above all other brands.

low end: Premier
    middle: Wild River, Tidemaster Inshore
    higher: Avid

I use mostly Premier 7-7'6", Tidemaster 7-7'6" and Wild rivers 8'6" for wading streams and "other" styles of smallie fishing . I run only 6 lb test and prefer longer rods to cast light lures farther so not to spook fish in ultra clear water.

Good luck on whatever you choose,

Scott

11. For fishing tubes and jigs on erie The Loomis SJR-920 cannot be beat. It is 7'6" medium light with a stiff butt. It was designed specifically for dragging tubes for smallmouths. I have let several people who frequent this site use this rod and they all are sold on it. Pricey, but well worth the investment.