Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's grandpa wants me to take him out tomorrow looking for smallies and pike, I have never targeted them before and was lookin for some info on where to go and any techniques, I live in barberton but anywhere 45 min to an hour away is fine, he has trouble walking though and would not want a long hike from where ever we park.

·
Fisherman
2,352 Posts
the oxbow area of cascade valley is good for smallmouth. although you may have trouble getting below the rocks. up for a small bit of hiking? cause towards the west there's good access and you can fish it for quite a distance.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I havent had much luck in cascade, just too many dinks and too much pressure. But the place ive caught the highest numbers of smallmouth 18" plus and a handfull of 19"-20" and a 21" beast. Its the part of Portage Trail that comes to Marriman Rd. but a quarter mile before Marriman their is an intersection that turns Portage into "Portage Path" in Peninsula/Akron area I guess. by sand run park. Their is a car washing place thats on the left if your going south that you can park off to the side at, and just walk LEFT down river if your facing west. Their is some rocks to fish and further down is some DEEP holes and good cover. This time of year I would use big tube jigs weedless because of the snags, or if you have a rod setup with some braid you can fish the tubes with a light wire hook, preferably 20-30lb test so you can pull it off of snags. it sure saves you alot of frustration and tubes, and alot more hook ups. This time of year the pike are in those deeper holes or in fallen trees. just bring this up on google maps----> 41.13608,-81.54705

1 - 4 of 4 Posts