Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Defensor Fortis
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like we might be screwed again for tonight, and possibly tomorrow
Bad thing is you can go to two other NOAA sites and none of them are the same????? Be safe out there guys!

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...NE+Ashtabula+OH&product1=Small+Craft+Advisory

FOR WATERS WITHIN FIVE NAUTICAL MILES OF SHORE ON LAKE ERIE

LEZ142>149-240245-
MAUMEE BAY TO RENO BEACH OH-RENO BEACH TO THE ISLANDS OH-
THE ISLANDS TO VERMILION OH-VERMILION TO AVON POINT OH-
AVON POINT TO WILLOWICK OH-WILLOWICK TO GENEVA-ON-THE LAKE OH-GENEVA-
ON-THE-LAKE TO CONNEAUT OH-CONNEAUT OH TO RIPLEY NY-
336 PM EDT THU JUL 23 2009

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

.TONIGHT...WEST WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS DIMINISHING TO 10 KNOTS OR
LESS. MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS THIS
EVENING...THEN A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. WAVES 3 TO
5 FEET SUBSIDING TO 1 TO 3 FEET.
.FRIDAY...WEST WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS. PARTLY SUNNY WITH A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS. A CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 2 FEET OR
LESS.
.FRIDAY NIGHT...SOUTH WINDS 10 KNOTS OR LESS INCREASING TO 5 TO
15 KNOTS. MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS
OVERNIGHT. WAVES 2 FEET OR LESS.
.SATURDAY...SOUTH WINDS 10 TO 20 KNOTS INCREASING TO 15 TO 25 KNOTS.
SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS. WAVES 1 TO 3 FEET BUILDING TO 2 TO
4 FEET. A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,529 Posts
Conditions around 3:00 pm EDT on Thu, Jul 23, 2009 (19:00 GMT)
(Data updated hourly at about :15 minutes past the hour) Data Plots


Air Data:
Wind Speed: 0.02 kts (0.01 m/s) R.M.Young Wind Monitor
Maximum Wind Speed: 0.34 kts (0.18 m/s) R.M.Young Wind Monitor
Wind Direction: 331.1° (NNW) R.M.Young Wind Monitor
Air Temperature: 75.5 °F (24.2 °C) CSI Temp Probe
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,500 Posts
Toxic, there will always be a few that think they have something to prove.

We had strong storms go through over here about 3:00 which probably raised the red flag.
 

·
Defensor Fortis
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KaGee, I hear ya. I'll just wake up and take a look at the wind speed indicators in Geneva, and Conneaut. Right now it doesn't look to bad up there.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,058 Posts
im stuck working ALL weekend so i hope its blowing 6footers :D


on a side note.....if more of you guys had a Thompson, you could still go out :D
 

·
Defensor Fortis
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im stuck working ALL weekend so i hope its blowing 6footers :D


on a side note.....if more of you guys had a Thompson, you could still go out :D
Just your C.O., and call in sick:D :T

As far as having a Thompson, did you ever find out a price on that new one?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,058 Posts
Just your C.O., and call in sick:D :T

As far as having a Thompson, did you ever find out a price on that new one?
i wish i could call in sick..... that doesnt happen. :D

as far as price--not sure, havnt heard from them in a week or two. Im saying $50,000 or so. (guess).

Want to buy my current one?? as ezbite how it handles the rough stuff :T
 

·
Defensor Fortis
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i wish i could call in sick..... that doesnt happen. :D

as far as price--not sure, havnt heard from them in a week or two. Im saying $50,000 or so. (guess).

Want to buy my current one?? ask ezbite how it handles the rough stuff :T
Believe me I know you can't call in sick lol. I think your guessing about right on the price compared to other same model type boats. Believe me, I would love to buy another boat. I need at least a 24-26 footer. Hope the economy turns around. !% I have a pretty secure job, but the state is hurting just like everyone else.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
9,500 Posts
Just out with the dogs... it was dead quiet at 8:00 and she's blowing pretty good right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
I have my fingers crossed that the weather holds out, my Son and I have a charter for Saturday morning, we hope to leave the dock by 6, I have already had to reschedule once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
I held off a day. Hope for the same on sat. Its crazy! Calm one minute and blowin like hell the next.
 

·
Rock On
Joined
·
40 Posts
Being a new boat owner(23 Proline Yamaha 225) and having only been to Erie twice with it,engine troubles both times by the way,plus throw in a spring storm or two,what would I be safe going out in. Do you guys ever go out when theres a small craft advisory. Just curious, coming up Aug.7 and 8 and just want to be safe.

Thanks
 

·
Defensor Fortis
Joined
·
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being a new boat owner(23 Proline Yamaha 225) and having only been to Erie twice with it,engine troubles both times by the way,plus throw in a spring storm or two,what would I be safe going out in. Do you guys ever go out when theres a small craft advisory. Just curious, coming up Aug.7 and 8 and just want to be safe.

Thanks
I personally will not. I watched the weather one time and there was a SMA for the day. I checked all the weather indicators and they all suggested light winds. I called the marina and they gave a go ahead. Took the 1 hour drive up and fished for around 30 minutes. Then the wind came! We would see land one minute then nothing but wave swells the next. I learned my lesson.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,771 Posts
i don't go out when there's small craft advisory's. I try to pay close attention to the wind speed AND direction before deciding to go or not. I check at least 3 different sites plus the bouy sites which give you almost real time conditions but take those with a grain of salt and double the wave height they give you.
It's really not the size of the boat but operator experience in how you encounter and handle rough sea's. What one person consider's "safe" could be another's bad day on the lake. Take your time and remember that just because it's the weekend, you don't really HAVE to go if you do not feel comfortable. I always recommend people read Chapman's Small Boat Handling and Seamanship before venturing out on the big pond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,436 Posts
We got to the dock about 5.45 this morning, met with the captain who informed us that they had just put up a maritime warning about a half hour before we got there, we were bummed but realized that we shouldnt be going out, luckily he had a date open for next Saturday so we will try our luck then, the company I work for had a outing at cedar point yesterday so we were already up there(didnt have to drive clear from columbus to be sent home, other guys at our hotel were all sitting around watching weather radar, I guess we will get them next week.
 

·
Rock On
Joined
·
40 Posts
Boatnut thanks for the tip on the book. I have to admit I didn't feel very confident on the lake this spring. I have ordered it and will read before I come up in Aug. Thanks
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top