close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

slow ultra-light reels

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by harry1, Dec 20, 2004.

1. i am looking for a slow retrieve ultra-light reel. all the good ones are 5:2 or faster. doesn't anyone make a 4:2 ultra-light? i love jig fishing and the slower the better.

2. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

3. sowbelly, you are right. i've looked at cabelas, bass pro, galyans, and gander moutain. no one has a slow retrieve ultra-light reel.
    there seems to be a gap in the line. everyone offers a slow larger reel but no one offers a slow small reel. am i the only person who fishes spinning ultra-light reels that wants a slow retrieve? i don't think so. i bet there are a lot of us 4lb. test, ultra-light guys out there. why aren't any of the manufactures filling our needs?
    sorry to rant. just frustrated.

4. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

harry1

I switched to using the 1000 series reels simply because they seem to cause less line coil. i also find it easier for myself to reel slower with the bigger reels do to the fact that the larger reels have a longer handle on them. with the small 500 series reels i always catch myselft reeling faster.

sowbelly

5. Your right slow reels are hard to come by for the most part. About 7 years ago I switched over to the Zebco spin cast #2010 reel seeing it had a 3.9:1 retrieve. I've come to really like it alot after having a rod made by Kountry Kat special to match the reel setup. The only draw back to the 2010 is a outter plastic hosing, which care must be taken in tightening down the reel seat to keep from cracking it. I went to a local machine shop and had them produce a metal sleeve to fit over the reel seat and that solved my problems when you fight a good sized small mouth that couldn't pass up a crappie jig.

Zebco also came out last year with the "omega 202 all metal reel" kinda high dollar at $49.95 but it has a 3.4:1 ration and I used it this year in some crappie tournaments and was very happy with it's preformance. The newer reel is somewhat haverier than the 2010, but the adjustment was easy to make. The nice part is the reel is smaller.
    Just like you, I want a slow reel for slower presentations and this has been the setup I have gone with.
    But in talking with some of the companies, they are working at developing better reels with slower action because of the letters they have recieved to date.
    As Jig fishing becomes more popular in fishing, I can see where certain companies will add to their lineup more reels geared for the type of action we are looking for.
    Hope this helps,
    Tight Lines,
    JimG

6. thanks for the tip. i'll look into that model zebco.

i like to reel so slow that my fishing partners will wade over to see if i'm still alive. then i slow down.