Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The one others want to be
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time: 5:30p.m.- 12:00 a.m.
Current: Slow current
Weather: Threatening but warm, light drizzle at 11:00 p.m.
Water Temp: Warm water
Water Clarity: Murky but clearing
Bait: Fresh caught shad, dead or cut
Locations: Barge towers and drops
total catch: 1 4lb channel in the castnet, (it happens), 1 4 lb channel on the circle hook, one 1lb or less flatty on a circle. (The hook barely fit in his mouth.????)
Overall satisfaction level on this trip? 3 out of ten.
Watching three guys trying to load a go-fast at Tanners in the dark and screwing it up: priceless.

UFM82

·
EEEEEK!
1,257 Posts
HEEEEYYYY! I v,e done that in full daylite!!!! lol Craig, the gar bite is ON in NorthBend!! There drivin us nuts! :( Raider

·
Registered
990 Posts
Gar lure- Nylon rope 1/2 " diameter, 6" long. tie/ lash to fishing line, fray one end of rope. The gar swipes at it and the teeth get tangled in the nylon. It's an old timer secret that was published a year or two ago in "In Fisherman" magizine.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Been tying these up for about 10 years now, (Been flyfish guiding for gar that long now) be sure to use the softest nylon rope you can find, do NOT use the thick anchor rope twisted nylon, doesnt work, also you have to unfray every strand of it ( I use a flea comb for a dog) then there are a few more tricks but Ill save those for another day, I also suggesat only using about 4", otherwise its too big for most of the gar around here, If you need directions or more details/pics, let me know.
Salmonid

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
it takes a few minutes sometimes, but the fishes life is in your hands, like an alligator, if you just rip the rope out and leave some, h has no strength to open the mouth against the rope left in there and will starve to death, have saved 2 fish this way we saw struggling to get air on the surface, one had a snare the other had fshng line all tangled up on his snout. so PLEASE make sur eyou get all the rope out. Always use a leather glove to hold them, and then use forceps or small pliers to get it out. if you have 2 folsk, its easier if one holds the fish with 2 hands, while you hld open the mouth with some other pliers/forceps and use the other one to get it out, this way takes about 10 seconds. Once you have a bunch of them, youll get a lot better at it, they are partial air breathers so holding them out of the water for a few minutes will not hurt them.

Good luck, Salmonid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts