close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slimey Fish

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by squid_1, Jan 22, 2008.

1. What is the best way to prevent your catch from producing the bucket full of slime? I mainly throw my catch on the ice and pick the hard fish up before I leave. When I get home and start to clean them I give them a good rinse but it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

2. mandolinsuperstar

mandolinsuperstar Disciple of Grisman

3. they wont slime as bad if they dont freeze. I just throw them in a bucket with some snow.

4. Gobi Muncher

Gobi Muncher mmmm.....tasty!

Fill your fish bucket 1/3 - 1/2 of water. This cuts waaaaaaaaaaay back on the slime, mainly just as much as if you caught them in the summer and kept them in the livewell until cleaning. Also, if you start keeping a few and don't end up getting the amount you want to clean or it gets too late, they are still alive to be put back.

5. PapawSmith

PapawSmith Bud n Burgers

The slime is generated due to a physical reaction as a result of a rapid change in the fish'es enviorment. It is their natural means of protection from those changes. GM is right by putting the fish in water you are, as close as possible, simulating the enviorment that they were just removed thus minimizing the slime.
    Somewhat off the subject, if you ever catch fish that you wish to transplant in a pond on your own property add salt to the water that you transport them in. That causes the fish to "slime" due to the addition of salt to their enviorment. When their body goes into this protection mode they transport much better and have a much higher survival rate. The very best way to transport them is in a aerated tank but if you can't do that the salt works good.

6. What about slicing the gill area to bleed them out? I have heard that helps. It just seems fish brought home from ice fishing are the worst. Its really not that big of a deal but since I got a reminder about not posting in a while I thought I would throw this out there.

7. NorthSouthOhioFisherman

NorthSouthOhioFisherman The Young Outdoorsman

try foam off
    The owner of jeanettes bait up here gave us some of that stuff and it helps somehow...

8. Okay, not a serious ice fisherman here...but it makes sense to me that if you want to keep your catch as fresh, (slime free), as possible just keep them alive and in the water. It seems to me that it would make sense to drill an additional hole to keep your catch on a stringer in the water below the ice. But, I'm just a soft water fisherman (as of now) so what do I know.