close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

slimed at Alum

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by esoxhunter, Jul 10, 2008.

1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Livin' the moontime

Took out guiding clients this morning to Alum Creek. My clients were a 9 year old boy and his mother. We hit the water at about 10 AM and began trolling. After 2 hours with no fish, the mom stated that she thought we would be casting rather than just dragging lures behind the boat. A minute or two later, one of the reels clicked a few times (kinda like on JAWS) and it was on. I handed the youngster the rod and about 2 seconds later (I'm not exagerating) another rod started screaming! DOUBLE !!!!!! I grabbed the second rod from the rod holder and told the youngster to trade me rods cause #2 was a good one. I reeled the smaller fish in quickly and just shook it loose at boatside without measuring or even bringing it in the boat. The young man fought the other fish for about 5 minutes and in the net it went. It was 35 inches and fat as could be. Pics will be coming as soon as "mom" emails them to me. It is truly inspiring to see the look on a 9 year old boys face after catching a 35 inch musky.
    To put icing on the cake, the drag went off again about 20 minutes later. When the young man brought this one up to the surface, it was not a musky but the biggest smallmouth bass I have ever laid eyes on. This fish jumped about 2 feet before getting to the net and shook the lure loose and swam away. I gotta tell you though, this smallie would turn heads on Lake Erie. EVERY BIT of 22-23 inches and an easy 6 or 7 lbs. I've caught a lot of smallies in my day, but this one was the best I've ever seen. Shame we never landed it.
    The moral of the story....big baits catch big fish.

2. seethe303

seethe303 Senior Executive Member

3. liquidsoap

liquidsoap Pay-it-foward fisherman

Awesome story!
    Congrats on putting the "youngster" on some nice fish!

4. Congrats on a day that 9 year old & his mom will remember forever.

My biggest smallie from Alum came on a 7" Grandma trolled at 4.5 mph in the fall. It was 21.5 inches long (no weight taken) ; c & r'd to grow up !!! Big baits do catch big fish, especially in the fall.
    Tight Lines,
    Tim

5. Ðe§perado™

Ðe§perado™ Catfisherman/Bowfisherman

Awesome to see kids having a great time and knowing the people that make that happen. Way to go!!!!

6. Cool deal, Dougie!! I would've paid money to see that kids face when he saw 35" of musky staring back at him in the net.
    That's friggin' great!!!

Now to this whole guiding thing......does this mean that I'm gonna have to come off some cash to sit my sorry arse in that boat? ;) I was thinking more of a bartering system.......

7. The Esox Hunter strikes again. Tell me that you are turning in scale samples to get the kid an honorable mention in the OHMC

8. esoxhunter

I'll barter with ya anytime andyman ;) I'm doing just a bit of guiding to keep gas in the boat.

No more scale samples duckhound. It's all done online now. It's called the MAL (Muskie Angler Log) on the ODNR's website.

9. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Well done Doug! That's awesome and congratulations to that young man. I bet he was psyched!!!! I see you are enticing Andy with tales of nearly boating a 23" smallie! lol

CG

10. Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

11. esoxhunter

andyman: CLEAN OUT YOUR PM'S !!!!!! PM me your email addy

12. LOL!!
    I aint cleaning out shiznit. What do you want...my bank fishing spot for blue marlin?
    I'll PM you my new cell number.

And poker at SuperDave's on Saturday pm....get your hallpass so we can discuss that barter.

13. Great story...PM me if you will with some general info on your guiding service.

14. You tricked me!! I had to clean out my PMs so I could Pm YOU!
    Sumbeetch.

15. esoxhunter

here are the long awaited pictures from the 7/10 Alum adventure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. That's great stuff! That kid will remember that for life.

17. I knew I was doing something wrong Sunday. I should have worn the Camo. LOL Again... Teriffic job with taking a kid fishing.

18. Awesome job Esox, maybe I am just bad luck seeing you seem to be catching them everytime, besides when we go lol. That kid will have a great story to tell once school starts.

19. Nice Fish Esox! Just wondering how much you charge to guide?

20. Thats a great Muskie spot Esox! my dad and i fish there quite often. biggest one weve pulled outa that area was a 49". Keep up the great work and well probably see you there some time!