close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Slamming into reverse.

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by reel, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Both my motors clang slightly when changing gears including my brand new 5hp troller when going from neutral.

Has anyone tried shifting from full speed ahead to reverse ? Like when someone yells "Look out there' s a big log or rock straight ahead".

2. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I think you're supposed to be at idle speed when shifting....
    Might tear up some gears doing a slam.
    If that's what you did & are now having the clanking, I'd pull the drain or fill plug & check to see if there's any metal shavings in the lower unit oil. I stripped my gears on a lower unit once. Lucky my insurance paid for a new one.

I'd turn the wheel vs. shifting into reverse, same a driving a car or truck.

3. ShoreBoundOne

ShoreBoundOne lengthy Member

Bad idea...MR. Fish is on the money.
    Interesting story...the last CG Cutter i was stationed on was 378Ft long and we used to have to do what they call "Crashback" drills...that is where you are going ahead at Flank speed (29 Knots in our case) and then go all reverse and see how fast you can stop the forward motion of the ship.
    Now on this ship, the screws dont change direction...the blades change pitch instead....so the shaft is always turning the same way.
    When they slam that sucker in reverse...MAN!! talk about shakin and rattlin...but would you beleive they could come to all stop in a ship length...i was pretty impressed.

Mitch