close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skunked on the Cuyahoga

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Tokugawa, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Tokugawa

Tokugawa Tackle addict

I fished the Cuyahoga yesterday. I was in the valley near Merriman and Portage Path. I did catch a river log though...

Anyone else have any luck in the 'Hoga?

2. No luck here either. I went to the Cascade Valley area yesterday, but the current was way too strong to risk wading. I made a few casts from shore, but no bites.

After that I went to the river by Memorial road on the Towpath Trail. All I caught there was a shiner that was about 6" (on a 2" spoon)

Went to Gorge park for 3 hours today but no bites. There was still a very thin layer of slushy ice near the pier.

3. Tokugawa

Tokugawa Tackle addict

Welcome PolymerStew!

I have never caught anything at The Gorge. I've been there 3-4 times...

I was using a Rapala x-rap, a pink grub on a chartreuse jig head, and a small brown/purple/black jig.

4. I've been catching pike in kent on the hoga. Mostly on large swimbaits fished very SLOW around log jams, and big baitfish (4"+) in the same areas. If you are looking for large bait try mark on Lk Rockwell rd.

5. tractor5561

tractor5561 "FISH,HUNT,LIVE"

ive been trying to fish the hoga lately and been catching nothing. I tried first in the valley about three weeks ago down on riverview road and did manage to catch a nice 5 pound smallie on my fly rod...however thats prtty much been the extent of my luck. I also fished at gorge about a week ago except i went down below the falls cause ive caught steelies there in early season, but last week there was nothing at all. I think ill move on to another river till the summer comes.....

6. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

If you caught a 5 pound smallie down in the river during this time of the year you're doing pretty good. Fish are lethargic right now so the bite is VERY slow. That fish was 1 in 500 out of that river. I've been fishing it for 25 years and waiting to get a 5 lber from that area. . Been close a few times but havent gotten one yet.

7. tractor5561

ya i wasnt really expecting it at all...when i hooked into it i thought i had a log or something cause he wasnt fighting hard at all...guess i just got lucky, but thats not the first five pounder ive pulled out of the hoga...heres one i got in late october this year

[​IMG]

8. fishing pole

fishing pole Off the beaten path

9. tractor5561

i have no idea why its not working but ill try and get it up soon