Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I fished at mosquito for flatheads. Had 3 rods set up and got skunked again. The running total for the year so far is mosquito once, west branch once, piedmont twice, clendening five times, and tappan 7 times. Not a single flathead. Everybody keeps saying to try the rivers. I have wednesday and thursday off this week. Would it be worth the hour and a half drive to fish the muskingum river? I know mosquito was up really high. I was just wondering what the muskingum river looks like after all the rain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I feel your pain! I have been out trying several times to catch one myself. 3 times @ atwood and once at salt fork. I am a newbie to fishing for flatheads and unsure if I am even using a proper set up. It's my goal to catch one before the end of the year!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Try Salt Fork.

So last night I fished at mosquito for flatheads. Had 3 rods set up and got skunked again. The running total for the year so far is mosquito once, west branch once, piedmont twice, clendening five times, and tappan 7 times. Not a single flathead. Everybody keeps saying to try the rivers. I have wednesday and thursday off this week. Would it be worth the hour and a half drive to fish the muskingum river? I know mosquito was up really high. I was just wondering what the muskingum river looks like after all the rain.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah this is my first year fishing for them too. I finally got a pretty good setup going. I have 3 10' berkley glowstick rods, okuma 452l reels with mono backing and then 300 yds of 80lb braid. Then I fish with a spinning rod with a balloon with a glowstick in shallower. I also just got an inflatable raft that I am going to use to row my baits out instead of casting them and hurting the bluegill. And dre, I've heard salt fork is good. Any certain area of the lake I should try? I was told before to try the point between the beaches....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Find a spot at wills creek, they are thick in there, ended up with 5 flathead Saturday nite, biggest pushin 25 lb smallest. Pry 6 ish, good times!!, along with a few channel all nice fish except 1, chubs and bluegill

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If your just looking for your first and not worried about size. willscreek is the place to go.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not familiar with wills creek. I've heard a lot about it but I'm not sure where it runs through. When I search it on google maps it always shows the Muskingum River.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The point between the beaches is a great starting point. Try starting at the point and setting up more towards the main beach. Good luck.

Yeah this is my first year fishing for them too. I finally got a pretty good setup going. I have 3 10' berkley glowstick rods, okuma 452l reels with mono backing and then 300 yds of 80lb braid. Then I fish with a spinning rod with a balloon with a glowstick in shallower. I also just got an inflatable raft that I am going to use to row my baits out instead of casting them and hurting the bluegill. And dre, I've heard salt fork is good. Any certain area of the lake I should try? I was told before to try the point between the beaches....

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
A very nice stretch for Flatties on Wills Creek is in a tiny town called Kimbolton

I'm not familiar with wills creek. I've heard a lot about it but I'm not sure where it runs through. When I search it on google maps it always shows the Muskingum River.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts