close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skipjack

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Fishyguy, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Fishyguy

Fishyguy Crazy Catman

Has anyone ever caught skipjack at the warm water in abeerdeen when the river is this high. Its 31.5 cincy level. Thats not real bad, but I have never done well with them when it is over 30.0

2. How much do you charge? By the pound or for each fish.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I would be interested in buying skips as well.

4. amazing189

amazing189 Member

It's about 35' down there now. I was down there a couple weeks ago & it was about 32'-33'. We caught about three on sabiki rigs in about an hour (the first time I'd ever used them). If you need to buy some frozen skips, there is a tackle shop (I'm not sure of the name) on Kings Mills Road in Kings Mills that keeps them.
    Good Luck,
    Danny

5. I heard from an unreliable source that some decent amount of skip has been being caught at Aberdeen. Can anyone confirm this??? Thanks in advance

6. I know this might sound crazy but about 10 years ago below the greenlawn dam in columbus I caught a fish that i had never seen b-4 . I took it up to the bait store and the guy didn't even know. he said it looked like something in the carp family. I called odnr in columbus and after 2 days the game officals calle dme back and asked me a few questions and told me it sounded like a skipjack. I had never heard of that in my life. I was catching whitebass and all of a sudden It looked like I caught a baby tarpon. It jumped and ran as fast as lightning. It was fun as hell. I only caught one but you guys catch a bunch. I can only imagine how fun that would be. I have to come down and try my luck. I would appreciate a few suggestions if possible. What lb. test and what lures. I use 4lb and twisters for whitebass, is it the same for the skipjacks?
    Thanks in advance
    Bryan

7. If the water is fairly clear should be ok,good luck guys.

8. I have caught tons of skipjacks out of the Ohio River but in all my days of fishing I have only caught one skipjack out of the Scioto River. I just don't think there are as many of them there.

Jake

9. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Use heavier line for a skippy rig, at least 10#, 14# is better. Make a rig, tie a fw small jigs on it, a swivel to tie to your main line, maybe 8#. If you use lighter line on your rig, you will spend too much time retieing it & cutting as you won't be able to untangle the mess. Skippies like to do acrobatics, and spinns, you get a couple on & you'll see real quick.
    No telling about Aberdeen, they can be thick one day, or one hour & nothing more. just have to be there at the right time. It's a hit/miss proposition.

10. Mrfishohio.....you ever have any trouble with skips not hitting a colored line?? Such as solar green or any other colored line! Thanks!!