Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
eyeangler1, Good job! I have been trying to find them eyes and live just a few miles from RR and usualy launch from there. I have not been able get lucky with a walleye program that works. My program is usually trolling dipsey divers and stinger spoons around 1.8 - 2.5mph. My question is what dept were you targeting? Thanks

·
useless poster
8,807 Posts
prolly 16 to 24 fow ' just east of the mouth where the blue house screen house hangs over the side . also just west is a nice line of structured area that holds them. low boat traffic times will be the key to getting them.

·
481 Posts
nice job, yesterday I went outa geneva and got skunked. after some dock talk I found out they are 15-20 miles out, I was only 11. I'm goning to start figureing out my home base now which is rocky river, no more 2 hour drives.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
eyeangler1, Good job! I have been trying to find them eyes and live just a few miles from RR and usualy launch from there. I have not been able get lucky with a walleye program that works. My program is usually trolling dipsey divers and stinger spoons around 1.8 - 2.5mph. My question is what dept were you targeting? Thanks
Brian,
I almost never have to work deeper than 24' and very often work the 18 to 20 foot depths. The thing to remember is that not ALL walleyes follow and travel with the food source. There are ALWAYS resident walleyes in the skinny water. One, at times, can come in with a great cooler, yet, at other times will come in with none or only a few. I personally don't have to come in with a limit every time out (although that would be sweeeeeeeet!:)) Just work areas that you find have structure, drop offs, humps, etc. A gps is a must so you can watch your speed when trolling. There are also times they want a bait slower or faster, or a bait that is larger (RR 800's) or smaller (small hot-n-tots). Sometimes they can be in quite shallow, especially early morning just after sun-up. I usually don't work much shallower than 15' this time of year. You have to be able to "wade through" the farm animals, white perch and white bass:eek:. Sometimes a big cat or a smallie will give you a good fight.
I usually don't use dipsey's in skinny water but will, sometimes... use a 1 or 2 oz. weight.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
P.S. the pic to the left is of 27" and 28" walleyes which were 2 biggest of the 11 we caught that morning in the skinny water out of Rocky River last year about this time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Eyeangler1,

Thanks for the info. I am only a mile from the Rocky river launch and while I mostly target perch I enjoy trolling for walleye too. You gave me some new info to try, thanks.
I actually caught my largest walleye last year just off the beach when you make a right at the mouth. A nice fish Ohio and to make it more fun I was in my kayak, mostly fish in my boat though. Looking forward to getting out in the boat for the first time this year, motor repair and back surgery has delayed the start of the "boating" season.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the insight! I will hopefully be taking my boat out next week after some repairs. I am changing over to an electronic ignition and need to adjust the throttle cable. Last week we were sitting ducks in the water as out boat wouldn't start due to the throttle cable being off, so I could not find neutral and the boat would not start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts