close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Skeg repair advice

Discussion in 'Boats and Motors' started by ohiojmj, Jun 8, 2007.

1. I broke 1/2 of the skeg off my 2003 Mercury 40 hp outboard a few years ago and installed a "Skeggard". With no current problems with the lower end, other than my hurt feelings and the occasional replacement of bolts on the Skeggard, should I bother to get a replacement welded on? Are there risks worse problems with seals or can a new skeg be welded without worry? Any recommendations for professional welding in Akron area?

2. if you proceed slowly the heat wont affect any seals---try to get it tig welded ---its better and stronger than mig---if you have a problem finding someone in akron---im in cleveland---pm me

3. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

Friess Welding on main St in Portage lakes.

4. Why? other than possible resale value It's not hurting anything.
    Why risk possible down time when you can be fishing, or wait until winter to have it repaired.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

5. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

i have to agree. wait till winter. , it drives me nuts when im down.

6. its only a couple hr job---not a big deal

7. Thanks guys. I would only get it done in the winter. I'll give Friess Welding a try since that's near by. I'd assume they can weld it without removing the lower end since the TIG welders at my job can weld overhead, flat, vertical, and while spinning around on the top of their head while spitting nickels.