close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

skeeter this morning

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by ezbite, Mar 18, 2008.

1. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

cabin fever finally got the best of me and i hit skeeter this morning for about 3 hours. i was in search of pike, didnt see or catch a thing. it was good to get out and cast a little. rainy, windy and cold. typical hand numbing day.lol. wanted to try the spillway first but it was blown out, so i hit the dam side for about half hour, not much open water there. went to walnut run and had to fish the bay because the oil is still floating in the lake. more open water there. then it was off to the causeway...LOTS of open water there, casted for a few hours and headed home. i wouldn't be suprised if the ramps on the southeast side of the causeway are open by the weekend. cementary had alot of open water about 200 yards out for as far north as i could see, the lake is really starting to open up. wont be long now:D . ramps at the state park are still locked in and i punched a few holes thru but the ice is still a few inches thick there. it was good to get out and shake off the rust. too bad no pike. heres a few photos of the south side of the causeway, walnut run and the spillway.

Attached Files:

2. thanks 4 the post ez. I will be there on 4/7 me a buddy and the old starcraft. Hopefully we can get some warmer weather doesn't look good next week. Maybe we can get the coast guard to make a cutter run through there lol.

3. Ya, thanks- Ez, you saved me an hour drive this weekend.
    Maybe next weekend will be time??

4. snake69

snake69 Equal opportunity fishing

So I s'pose that means I can fish the cemetery this weekend, whether from shore or wading!:F :D It's about time.... Appreciate the photos................

5. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

Thanks ezbite
    Looking foward to my second year fishing this lake. Can't believe last year was my first . Pics are great

6. ezbite

not to sure about the cemetary,but ill let you know friday:D

7. mrphish42

mrphish42 locators dont lie

Ezbite.... Really good to see the pic's man. Thanks ever- so-much....... Nice too see what "waves" still look like........and that's a neat shot by the sign....only needed about an 8# "eye" keeping you company in that shot.....to make it totally complete......THINGS SURE ARE LOOKING UP>>>>>Jon Sr.,,,,,,,,,PS. you wouldn't mind people gawking at an 8# "eye"...would you? THANKS AGAIN..........

8. snake69

I think I took your report the opposite of how you meant it! I think you meant that there is ice from shore to approx 200 yds out. I took it to mean that from shore out to approx 200 yds, it was clear. Oh well, another week or two!

9. ezbite

yes, the middle of the lake has open water and 200 yards of ice on the edges:D

10. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

What "oil is still floating in the lake "?

11. snake69

I have only one word EZ to your last reply....DAMN!:mad:

12. ez...good of you to make a post about lake conditions and results. gas prices as they are, you helped people decide to go fishin now...or wait another week.

was going thru some of my fishing gear. found something perfect for you ez.
    a bottle of nail polish.....just your color.

take care bud. hope we fish together again this yr.

13. ezbite

hahahaha!! funny man:p

whaler, a few weeks ago after the thaw, i went to walnut run and there was some type of oil floating on the water on the lake side. it was a very large slick and i advised people to not even bother with that area of the lake because of it. well, it was still there but it had disappeared some.

14. When I was growing up ( back in the 50's and 60's ) the old fishing gang loved to see the spillway blown out just like that. Everytime the walleye and crappie would magically appear. During these highwater conditions we would do alright. Thing was went the water went back down to normal fishing results took a nosedive also. As a kid we fished every bit of mosquito creek. From the spillway all the way down past Rt 422 in between Niles and Warren. Thinking we would find a honey hole that existed during normal water levels.

We had a lot of fun exploring but never found squat as far as good fishing went. Yet next time the water was blowing the spillway out we would catch them again. Never was able to solve where all the fish came from. Fall was good when they dropped the lake and opened the gates also.

15. I agree with the good fishing when the river is blown out. I have had 4 occasions when it was roaring and looked like choclate milk and I killed them. The one time I swear I caught an 18" fish on every 2-3 casts. This fishing lasted for two days. I was standing in the river when they closed the dam and the fish literally shut off in seconds.

My story did not hold true yesterday though. I tried for about an hour and got the skunk.The water is still really cold and the eyes should be within a week or so of starting to go. In my opinion.

16. ezbite

swung by skeeter this morning and casted the small bay and lake side of walnut run, nada...but i didnt smell or see any oil floating around either. theres a lot more open water now. you could wade the point now if you wanted to.burrrrr. you'd probably only make it about 30 minutes before you'd need to get out and warm up. cemetary and state park still ice locked. the spillway is starting to look good, its dropped about a foot and the lake is VERY full. they must be holding back to help ease the flooding going on downstream.

17. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I haven't fished Mosquito in a few years. I plan to hit it a few times this season. I'm wondering if the old hotspots are still hot.

18. Isnt it at "High Tide" when fish move in and up. Our water table charts the Army Corps supply us are the best tool we have for which lake or tailwater to hit. More so in fall. How many times have you went to Berlin to find the Parking lots full of water not cars. Granted we dont have as much water running into Skeeter or WB but the drop is the way to go! Big fish set up to pick off easy prey. As far as the honey hole! Im still thinking Newton Falls holds ALOT of fish at times as does the railbridge down stream from Skeeter. Takes a life time to find such places on Ohio waters. Makes this site and others really helpful.;) :D

19. Newton Falls?!?!? Which one, the high falls in between Giant Eagle & McDonalds or the falls with the failing wall accross from the old factories?

20. Its the little town east of WB. Were the mahoning joins up with WB. Think the old dam was there at one time. Ive drove past a Y in the river there a few times and wonder if you can park close by. Perfect for a small boat and elect.