Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the derailer thread, someone said "you wouldn't even know I was there."

I tend to be quiet and stealthy and I frequently spook people who didn't know I was there. It's not a deliberate prank, I'm just quiet. And then there I am.

I don't blame myself; I blame their failure to know what's going on around them. That's "situational awareness" and it matters whether you're on foot or behind the wheel. Most people operate in a kind of tunnel vision where they have some particular goal and they don't pay attention to what else is happening around them.

Whether it's out on the water or in a horse pasture or in a store, I always keep track of everything 360 around me. I don't push grocery carts; I lead them by the nose so I come around corners eyes-first. Almost everyone else just blows the whole rig into the aisle before they even know if anyone is coming.

While I'm on this rant, I'll include distracted driving. You can devote your attention to a screen, or the road. In the Columbus area, WBNS sportscaster Dom Tiberi lost has daughter when she was not paying attention on 270 and she rear-ended a stopped semi. He has turned that into a campaign.

https://www.10tv.com/marias-message

Another thing is listening to sounds. Kids, kitchens and cars, every sound they make means something is happening. When I'm out in the woods or whatever I try to not be the source of sounds, but to listen to what's happening around me.

When I was on that Knox County ridge I would just listen to the eastern woodland bird song chorus and that's still the sound track of my mind.

Or, sometimes I would play Live Rust. Blasting very loud. But I would still keep a wary eye on the driveway.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The funny thing about blind spots is, you don't see them.

When I was in driver's education in the 1970s they taught "defensive driving" where the basic premise is, expect other people to make mistakes and be ready to take action. I've found that to be very useful over the years, especially when it comes to anticipating something that MIGHT happen but isn't happening yet. That's much better than not paying attention and then having to respond to something that's already happening.

I don't have much experience operating powered watercraft but I know you really need to be aware of what's going on all around you. On a road, you know where to expect hazards in certain lanes and intersections, but out on water like Alum Creek you might get some guy booming across you from anywhere without knowing you're there.

Some of them are jerks and they don't care if they hit your canoe with a big wake. Back again to defensive driving, see the situation coming and take action. Steer the canoe straight into the wake.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The funny thing about blind spots is, you don't see them.

When I was in driver's education in the 1970s they taught "defensive driving" where the basic premise is, expect other people to make mistakes and be ready to take action. I've found that to be very useful over the years, especially when it comes to anticipating something that MIGHT happen but isn't happening yet. That's much better than not paying attention and then having to respond to something that's already happening.

I don't have much experience operating powered watercraft but I know you really need to be aware of what's going on all around you. On a road, you know where to expect hazards in certain lanes and intersections, but out on water like Alum Creek you might get some guy booming across you from anywhere without knowing you're there.

Some of them are jerks and they don't care if they hit your canoe with a big wake. Back again to defensive driving, see the situation coming and take action. Steer the canoe straight into the wake.
If you’ve ridden a motorcycle on the road for any length of time (going on 42 years) you come to learn that everyone else is out to kill you and you need to ride to make sure that doesn’t happen. Need to have a 6th sense about everything and eyes not just in the back of your head but all around.

Same thing with a boat and the local Kroger, I found.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you’ve ridden a motorcycle on the road for any length of time (going on 42 years) you come to learn that everyone else is out to kill you and you need to ride to make sure that doesn’t happen. Need to have a 6th sense about everything and eyes not just in the back of your head but all around.

Same thing with a boat and the local Kroger, I found.
Your right about the motorcycle.I have been riding for 43 years and especially now a days I "expect " anyone coming from a side road to nail me

·
Registered
11,314 Posts
The "awareness all around you" that you refer to is what makes a good pilot and a better fighter pilot. For those that feel surrounded in a cocoon of safety when in an automobile or other forms of transportation, all I can say is YOU CANNOT FIX STUPID!

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
9,327 Posts
I hear ya, dude! Was running errands the other day and had to stop at WalMart. It seemed like everyone in the place was on a mission! Zero awareness of other people.

I hearkened back to something I had seen years earlier. I was running a sales route and about to call on a large grocery store. To the side of their parking lot was a fair sized lake into which literally hundreds upon hundreds of geese were trying to land! It was like a 200' tall "tornado" of geese, all circling and dropping lower and lower trying to land.

I stood by my car watching this spectacle, while in the next aisle an older lady, who obviously had a bad case of tunnel vision, had her eyes fixed on the front door and never looked left or right as she trudged, determinedly, toward them.

It's the same w/hunting. If you hear a blue jay start to scream, or a squirrel sit up and take notice, or a chippie run for cover, get ready! By the same token, should a Jay, or any other songbird, or squirrel or chippie be anywhere near you, do not move!

I was driven out of the woods by Robins, believe it or not! One flew in and lit near me and I turned my head to look at it. He saw the movement and started to scream! Next thing I know, all his buddies show up, surround me, and start screaming too!

The woods has it's own alarm system. Pay attention to it!

Reactions: Lazy 8

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Being in a plane brings things much much faster than pulling a shopping cart.

Getting back to my original point, most people can get by in most situations and just sort of bumble along with an occasional "excuse me" but that's trying to fix the situation after the fact The key is to recognize the possibility of a developing situation

I drive with my left foot hovering over the brake pedal, but not touching it. In driver's education they said it takes a certain amount of time to move your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal, and depending on your vehicle speed you will cover some distance before you brake.dd

I just flinch my left leg and chirp the brakes.

·
The end is near
6,517 Posts
Being in a plane brings things much much faster than pulling a shopping cart.

Getting back to my original point, most people can get by in most situations and just sort of bumble along with an occasional "excuse me" but that's trying to fix the situation after the fact The key is to recognize the possibility of a developing situation

I drive with my left foot hovering over the brake pedal, but not touching it. In driver's education they said it takes a certain amount of time to move your foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal, and depending on your vehicle speed you will cover some distance before you brake.dd

I just flinch my left leg and chirp the brakes.
I used to do that with the clutch pedal until dad told me, son, quit riding the clutch. He said, you're either on it or off it, there's no in-between.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You understand a clutch? You're rare. Most people just step on one pedal to make it go and step on the other pedal to make it stop and they have no clue what's going on.

I often say, driving with skill requires effort, and people want to drive with the least possible amount of effort. That actually scares me more than intoxicated drivers.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Lack of awareness can be often confused with lack of consideration. Ive seen too many of both in this world to make me comfortable riding a motorcycle frequently.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts