close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sissy's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by usc14, Mar 26, 2005.

1. i just heard an elemetary school banned all peanut products like peanut butter for just one student that happens to be allergic to nutty products. its almost as bad as smoking bans in bars. i mean if you want to be a welder but you hate the toxic fumes it puts out. then dont be a welder, duh! well my kids allergic to peanuts, so what, my kids picky and only likes peanut butter and jelly for lunch. where is it going to end? then another kid shows up at the same school and is allergic to mustard, which is quite common by the way. so now there is a ban on peanuts and mustard for 2 students? thats like me working with chemicals and complaining of hazards. i knew the hazards. i didnt have to except the job. im a hazmat tech also. oh , i dont wanna clean up this spill its too toxic. its like the handicapped golfer that wanted to be able to ride in a cart for pga tourny's. get a clue, whats next? fat guys playing baseball and having someone run the bases for em? jim abbott the angels pitcher didnt ask for any special treatment, even though he was handicapped and held his own. by the way, jim abbott you are a credit to the human race. i am very proud of you. you didnt cry or beg for special treatment you are a credit to humanity. oh i dont wanna work in a bar with smokers. then apply somewhere else. thats like saying i wanna be a pilot but im afraid of heights. sissy's need not apply. im a hazmat tech and chemical processor. i know the risks and have every chance to apply somewhere else for employment. bk lounge(burger king) and mcdonalds is always hiring. oh wait i might be allergic to big macs, take it off the menu. or fried food gives people heart attacks, im suing fast food for my obesity. all these lightweight panty wearing crybabies who hate second hand smoke in the bars dont think twice about driving their intoxicated behinds home,(like thats safe). breathing auto exhausts is so much better than second hand smoke. where is john wayne when you need him. (he played football at usc by the way). we are breeding a society of lightweight panty a$$ crybabies wearing no leak diapers. oh wait, the jet im flying in is no smoking but the jet fumes are so safe for our environment. whatever. ive welded and had nose bleeds from the fumes and im sure people get carpal whatever from typing. if ya dont want these. get another job. im all for safety on the job ,but there is only so much protection possible. im sure you all wouldnt want to ban crab fishing during the most productive and dangerous months. these guys are also heroes, its dangerous. but they do it because they choose to. hats off to you guys. nobody twists their arms. i look up to them guys. they do it without bellyacheing. oh wait, i wanna be a chef, but im allergic to peanuts. lets ban peanuts and peanut products in all restaraunts. get real lives people. quit being so candy a$$.

2. gezzzzzzzzzzus...
    Need to look at the whole picture here...

In this day and age of law suits and money woes for most school systems I applaud this one for the ban and saving much needed $$$ that can be better spent for all the kids involved...

It may be just me but in this case I would not want to stop the education of a child so mine could eat peanut products at school :rolleyes:

3. Is that for everyone or is the school not using peanut products? My favorite lunch was a good old PB&J samich. Are they going to search every lunch as they come in the school. It's starting to get out of hand with all the law suits and everything.

4. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I kinda agree. i think banning peanut butter is a little of of control. Seeing as how that's one of the best things to feed a little youngster, isn't it asking too much for all the kids not to be able to have peanut butter? I was allergic to milk when I was in elementary school, but my mother would never think of asking the school toban milk because I couldn't have any. What a crock. When I read that article I just rolled my eyes. Poor kids can't even enjoy a PB & J. What is this world coming to!

5. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

What is even worse than all the lawsuits are when the administration, elected or appointed start making laws/rules for every little problem that comes down the road.

Whatever happened to the days where you trained the school employees to deal with the (special needs) and if they can't deal with it you send the kid to a "special” school not make a new rule for protection of a few that walk over the rights of the majority.

6. ..another point as I sent to another member via PM

my thoughts on the school matter are that if a lawsuit was brought against the school district it would cost a good junk of change to defend their allowing of peanut products in the school or school system as more and more appeals were tossed around by either side that last their case and we're prob talking years and only the lawyers would be happy in the end after lining their pockets $$$...
    Money which would be taken out of the education fund and into litagation and hurting the kids more then not eating peants would... excuse the pun but in a nutshell ;)
    I would rather see my children suffer becasue they could nto eat P&J aat school then their learing curve suffer... food for thought

My over all opinion is that the whole thing stinks and shows how something so trivial can affect so many... I am sure once the small girl gets older and can pick and choose her own food more easily then this will all be water under the bridge...
    I also think if you do not like 2nd hand smoke then go somewhere else you made an adult decision to go somewhere that smoking is allowed live with it :rolleyes:

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

all this pc crap kinda gets under my skin.i don't have a problem making allowances for individuals with certain needs or limitations,but it just seems that people often carry it way too far.
    i haven't seen or read about this particular case,but true or not,these are my feelings about such things.
    the fact that one kid(truth be known,he's probably not the only one)is allergic to a certain type of food,is not grounds to eliminate it from the menu :rolleyes:
    there are lots of people with lots of allergies,in this world.should we not allow all those things anywhere,just to appease those people.i'm afraid life for all of us would change drastically,if we did that.or would it be much simpler for them to just avoid them?
    my stepson is allergic to peanut products also,but when he was in school,the thought of doing that,would have never crossed anyone's mind.if you're allergic to something,avoid it.that seems to be a much more logical solution than telling everyone else they can't enjoy it :confused: :rolleyes:
    i would have quit school if they'd banned pb&j samiches when i went :mad: ;)

8. in the real world BIG $$ and lawyers call the shots...
    wish it were not so but the few make the rules for the masses...

9. My friend was allergic to peanuts. Guess what. He packed his own lunch.

The school took things a little too far here. If the kid did not want to pack his own lunch they could have simply had their cooks prepare a different lunch for him on day peanut products were being used. It's like smacking a mosquito with a 2x4.

10. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Okay.. so does this mean that if my classmate is allergic to Bee Stings that none of us will be allowed outside for recess???????? :confused:

11. Marica your a little old for going to school aren't you? :p

Short Version:
    That school had served the little girl peanuts or peanut products twice sending her to the hospital... Her Mom gave them a choice no peanuts or court...
    Next time anyone here is being brought to suit I'd
    bet you wish you had an out :)

Again I think the school took the best route and saved BIG $$$ by not going to court... I am sure they could change their minds if someone would like to foot the bill... I am also sure they would except everyones yes vote next time the school tax levy is up for vote...:D

They will not check lunches brought into school or anything of that nature just keeping it off the school menu... So this whole thing is blown way out of proportion by thoughs who have not took the time to seperate all the facts not myths ;)

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Minority rules folks, screw the majority.

13. ..very true and sad fact ain't it Jack :(

14. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you got it,jack :mad:

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I was just thinking, say she had here child in Wallmart, and the Child tore open a bag of peanuts and ate them..Should Wallmart then remove all peanut products from all stores?..I agree with Clyde, it was the safe thing to do, but that still does not set well with me.

16. I'd hate to get into all the "what if's" that can be tossed around but...
    that gives me an idea for another thread :D

17. Don't think we need members like this newbie ...
    No need for that kind of small talk here on OGF

18. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

Personally, I think that if the child is young, then perhaps they should wear some sort of badge or bracelet while at school which would indicate their allergy to peanuts, bee stings, latex, etc...
    I don't know if any of you really know what a typical lunch menu looks like in a public school, but let me tell you, Peanut Butter is one of the few sources of protein that is even offered to these kids, therefore I don't feel that removing peanut butter is in the best interest of the kids health.