close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sinker Molds-Found @ garage sale

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by H2O Mellon, Aug 26, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I think I did pretty good, got all this stuff (4 molds) for a total of $6.00!!!! Can anyone tell me what those long log shaped sinkers are designed for? I wa thinking possible somewhere w/ rocks, at they may not get snagged upon as much. I havent weighed the "log" sinekrs yet. The larget ones ahve to be over 6 oz with the smallest being a least 2 oz.

[​IMG]

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

I'm thinking you got a couple candle molds mixed in there. ;) lol

3. That is a heck of a deal! Those long ones look like drifting sinkers that I use for steelhead fishing, never used any that big but that is what they look like. A great place to get lead is from a tire shop, the old tire weights. Its not pure lead, maybe some aluminum and who know what else in there, but for making your own sinkers they work just fine. I went a few years ago to the Wal Mart tire shop and they gave me about 50 pounds of old tire weights and I still have a ton of it left. I melted them all down into bars so I have stacks of bars and when I need to make some sinkers I can just melt down one of the bars. Also by melting the weights down and making bars you can scrape off some stuff when they melt, I think its the aluminum or what ever other materials are in the weights, they kinds make a skim on the surface of the lead and you can scrape that stuff off.

4. That is a heck of a deal,congrats on the find ;)

5. H2O Mellon

I have plenty of lead ready to be given to me, should have it within a couple weeks. I would have paid $6 just for the bell sinker mold. :)

6. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Are you interested in "renting" me on of those long ones? I'm thinking of using it for duck decoy weights. I only need it once. Maybe we can work a deal out for the "rental" fee. Say, like $5.00?

7. The "Pencil Sinkers" are used primarily for drift fishing on rivers, especially where there is a rocky bottom. I have used them as heavy as four ounces when fishing foe Kings on the Niagra.

8. H2O Mellon

COuld you use the long ones as reg sinkers? Or will they jus stand upright & not work?

9. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I think the long ones will work for what you need, heck I have used spark plugs before.

10. The long ones would probably be ok if you are not fishing in much current, they are made for drifting in current.

11. H2O Mellon

One Word: H-I-L-L-J-A-C-K

** Disclaimer, A Hilljack is not a redneck, I myself am a redneck. The difference between the two are obvious. A Redneck might use a lug nug for a sinker, the hiljack would use a sparkplug! :D

12. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I remember as a teenager, my dad bought a new socket set..I used all of them as sinkers.

13. H2O Mellon

Dont lie now, you know you did that just last week. ;)

I bet he about killed you. :p

14. if you use a sparkplug and get a snag how do you get home??? I like Brians idea better because you can make it home missing one lug...lmao

15. Ah such nostalgia. I'm sure that is the reason my brain is gone from the side effects of making lead soldiers.