close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sinker Making question

Discussion in 'Tackle Talk' started by H2O Mellon, Oct 4, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

I just received some lead & a TON of pre made 2 oz round sinkers. These things have been stored a while. Is there any way to clean them? They have film on them and dust/dirt, etc...

I thought they might be able to be soaked in a bucket of water w/ some sort of chemical. When your melting the lead I know that official NRA Beeswax will make the dirt & grime rise to the service.

2. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

If you're going to melt them down the dirt will float to the surface as it is much lighter than the lead and you can just skim it off the surface.

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish Well, Gee Whiz!

DANG! a ton of lead? That is alot! I will tell ya what you should do. Get yourself a tooth brush and a bucket of warm soapy water, a bag of ice and a ball peen hammer. Take the hammer and turn it toward that big ol' mellon of yours and give yourself a good wack, wash the area with the the soapy water and apply ice. Then put the lead in your melter, when lead is melted skim the crap off the top and pour your sinkers.

It was told to me once that the impurities in lead when melted is what goes airborn and inhaled to cause problems so be careful.

[​IMG]

4. WLB

WLB Northern Ohio Fisherman

If you don't already know...make sure the lead is dry when you add it to the melting pot, Or you may create a volcano!
    I even try to get the lead to room temp or warmer before adding it.