close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Since we are all cooped up?

Discussion in 'Steelhead Talk' started by Carpman, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Since we are all just sitting around wondering when the ice will melt. Let's talk about the spring run a little!

I'll start by saying that I think the spring run is a lot better than the fall run. I think that the big numbers and sizes will come from the spring (trying to be optomistic). This will be my first season where I will try and fish the east as much as the west. I have done very well in the spring at the rocky. I think the key is covering as much water as you can!

2. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

When they stocked London-strained I think fall & spring were pretty even fish-wise. I remember reading somewhere that the Manistees are biased more towards spring runs. I kinda miss those London strain "footballs".

3. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

People don't realize that 90% of the fish that are caught before spring are from PA. PA doesn't have quite as "clean" of a stocking program as OH, as they just stock the same fish that run up their streams every year. Granted, the numbers they produce are unbelieveable. The big trigger for our Ohio Manistees to run is when the trib and river temps rise above that of the lake.

4. I'm with Creekcrawler. I use to love fishing the fall run of the London strain.

I always thought of them as "swimming watermelons" 25" long and 10 lbs. :)

Wes

5. creekcrawler

I agree with MuskieJim. I am definite that some of the fish I caught out east this fall were not Manistees. I did get a hog out of Rocky River early in the fall that was defintely a Manistee. Seems like the further east you go, more Pa. fish.

6. creekcrawler

You can tell they're Pa. fish. They only have half their teeth, they all disappear the first week of deer season, and say things like "warshin machine"....

:p :p :p

7. I think I just shat laughing so hard!

8. went and fished harpersfield today at the covered bridge.(grande river) open water right there. looks good but didnt catch anything. rod guides froze up every other cast. was nice to get out though.

9. symba

symba Kayak Conquistador

So does Pa stock something other than manistee?

10. Thanks for the info propper!

Was the water slushy at all, and how much was open?

11. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Too funny. I think I saw some Ohio manistees jumping on the bandwagon too!

12. Pa fish win Superbowls!

13. I wish odnr would stock both the londons and the manistees.the last five years or so the spring run has been the best by far,the fall runs dont even start till mid november and the numbers are not there.The only problem with the late run is the hard water and the dirty spring run off.The fall conditions are much more consistent but the numbers are not there.Just my opinion.By the way I mostly fish the rocky.

14. Hey Arch, did you hear they canceled the super bowl this year, they decided neither team was worth watching!

15. The Manistees give Ohio its best bang for the $ because the survival/return rates are much better than the Londons from what I understand. As long as PA keeps stocking fall run fish, isn't it the best of both worlds?

Joel

16. creekcrawler

Joelfishes is right. They get a much better return rate/survival rate with Manistees. so they'll keep stocking them.

Jrsfish - The last few seasons, I just head east in the fall - more Pa. fish there.

17. MuskieJim

MuskieJim Trophy Tamer

Agreed. Fall is always a teaser for spring.

18. PA collects eggs from the fish in trout and godfrey runs. They are "Mutt" steelhead that have come from strains out west, Michigan and NY. The survival rates are amazing and the sheer numbers are unlike anywhere else.