close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simple Recipe for Steelhead

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AndroDoug, Oct 1, 2004.

1. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

I am going to catch my first steelheads this year and as I see, everyone keeps them. I am a C&R guy, and only RARELY keep fish to eat. Pike from Congress Lake is the only exception.

So when I do nail my first steelie, what do I do with it? I hear they can be "fishy" or excellent. I don't have nor do I want to smoke them (I had smoked salmon once at BJ's wholesale from a taste test station and about threw up. It was raw to me. Fish with the consistency of boiled ham is GROSS!)

What is the best and EASIEST way for me to prepare a tasty and mild steelhead dinner? I'm not much of a cook! :rolleyes:

2. Mix some liquid smoke in some mayonnaise. Brush it on the fillets or steaks on both sides, and cook on grill. Good stuff.

3. Dingo

Dingo

Try to catch your keeper from the lake. They tend to take on the 'river taste' once they enter the rivers and begin changing colors. Make it a female and have spawn for a season (cut skein into 'day use' chunks and freeze after sealing well, thaw and sack only what's needed).

When cleaning, remove the meat close to the belly and the dark sections near the lateral line or top of the filet. Make sure that the silver stuff left over when skinning is removed.

Soak the filets before cooking to extract some of the fatty juices. Salt water (cooking/kosher, canning salt) or milk is used by many.

Experiment with seasonings and marinades. Italian dressing works. Also a seafood marinade with a teriaki base (store bought).

When broiling in the oven, ensure that the filet is elevated on a rack to let the juices drip from the fish.

I've had some success with the store-bought teriaki marinade. Also coating the filet in home made basil/cilantro pesto.

It's an acquired taste -- folks the enjoy the stronger fish/game seem to also like (or tolerate) the steelhead. It isn't my first choice -- not when there's perch and walleye available.

4. Get a smoker and dig in... ;) :D

5. I ususally ask folks that don't like steelies if they like salmon-if they say NO then I've found they won't like steelies either. Just my humble opinion.

6. You hit that on the head exexec