Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an idiot for asking this but when when they say North winds doest it mean winds are moving North coming out of the South, or that the wind are moving South coming out of the North. I'm thinking North winds mean if you face North wind will at your face, in other words if out on the lake you'll be blown in to shore? So southerly wind could be interpreted as wind out of the North? confuseing to me.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
It means which way the wind is coming from. North wind is wind coming from north to south. Like you said if you face north the wind will be in your face.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They say North winds....wind will blow you South. They say South winds...wind will blow you North. That is true if the forcast is correct of course. A couple of weeks ago the forecasters were off frequently on the wind direction. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm hoping the winds stay northerly, I'll be a little more relaxed drifting to shore rather than out to the abyss, fuelwise that is. I'm headed out to wildwood tomorrow 4pm to dusk, first time in a few years, gonna experiment with some old school tactics. I'll definately take my camera and post some pics for youall'.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
no wake....fyi.....it's not a dumb question. several yrs ago when i started exploring Mother Erie, the same subject confused me.

consider this....when north winds blow, they have the entire lake to build waves that then pound the southern shore. north winds create the biggest waves on the south shore.

south winds, on the other hand, do the exact opposite.

south winds, southwest winds, west winds tend to be our friends. north winds, ne winds, and east winds are less friendly.........for fishermen in this area.

blow boats......they love it all. strange bunch!

seriously......if your fuel supply worries you, upgrade your capacity or stay in very tight. on Erie, fuel should never be a concern.....imo.

good luck and be safe out there.

·
3,317 Posts
I'm an idiot for asking this but when when they say North winds doest it mean winds are moving North coming out of the South, or that the wind are moving South coming out of the North. I'm thinking North winds mean if you face North wind will at your face, in other words if out on the lake you'll be blown in to shore? So southerly wind could be interpreted as wind out of the North? confuseing to me.
Easy to remember when talking wind versus current...wind blows FROM like everyone else said but...CURRENT flows TO. So, a north current will drift you...yep, North. This is where set and drift comes into play when you are for instance heading to point "A" and have to allow (correct) for the two differentials to go in a so called "straight" line to get there. But in actuality you are heading on a different coarse and basically slipping side ways all the way there.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm very conservative on fuel I have two 6 gal tanks, I use half the first tank to get out there and the rest to get back in, and with my 16' 1967 evinrude 4 cyl. believe me it sucks it down fast. More fuel is out of the question (no room) with myself and 1 other on board big cooler with ice for fish, two batterys, two anchors, fishing gear ropes and stuff She's pretty much maxed out when it comes to handling 4 footers if I were ever to caught when the waves were pickin' up. I'm not sure how many miles I've been out but a depth of 58' off Neff I've done before, I'm guessing 3-4 mile?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts