Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well another season and I need another pair of waders since mine seem to last less than one season. The $200 cabelas waders just don't hold up. I will be buying Simms waders this year. Wanted to see if anyone has good feedback on Simms

I am looking to purchase the G3 ($500) waders or the G4 Pro $700. i need to justify what makes the $700 pair better than the $500

I'm a huge fan of any product that has goretex and both of these have a 5 layer system.

Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not sure what cabelas sells, but I paid 200 for a pair of lacrosse neoprene's 5 years ago to fish the mammee run. I have yet to make it there but I have used those things constantly everywhere else. Have to say I've been well pleased with mine.

·
Just practicing my cast
4,710 Posts
I have and use a pair of the G3 Got them about this time last year and I absolutely abused them they still look brand new and by far will last me a couple more seasons at least

Reactions: Redoctober

·
Registered
717 Posts
I haven't had any Simms yet, but I just bought my second pair from Cabela's (Dry Plus $230). I can tell these will only be good for one full season and then probably start to get moisture (like my previous pair after 1 year). Luckily, Cabela's was good enough to return $55 out of the $100 spent (bought on sale a year ago). This is the only reason I decided to give it another try, but this time it was full price.

I hope get similar input on Simms. I have on my list to research and explore Patagonia's wader line (in case another option helps). I have heard alot of good news. Simms was second option to explore. By years end, hoping to invest in a more longer term type of waders with better warranty expectations. I had to discuss with Cabela's if there warranty is void after wearing the waders or ~30 days, then they should have better R&D since waders are NOT suppose to take moisture/water after normal wear.

Reactions: Redoctober

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Cabela's warranty is misleading. I had my hunting boots a few years and still looked great, only problem was the soles were separating. They admitted it was a manuf. Defect and that there 'lifetime warranty' was only for a year. They said they would credit me $16 which was the lowest price. I don't know how they got that price since they were $100 boots. After talking to the manager, he said he would do an even exchange if they had the same boot, which they did not. He would give me $60 towards new boot. Only thing I could find was $120-$140 boots. I walked out with my old boots and took them to a boot shop to be fixed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Look up orvis silver sonic. They should have been out long enough to get some reviews. I have the orvis boot foot duck waders for a few years now but haven't used them too terribly hard. So far so good. I also own Patagucci stocking foots. Had them a few years but haven't fished them too hard. Can't ever go wrong siimms guides.
Best advice is get on the net and call some fishing guides especially steelhead guys or Alaska guys. They pound the crap out their stuff for 70 or so days.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good feedback!

I have no issue with price. I always beat my stuff up pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good feedback!

I have no issue with price. I always beat my stuff up pretty good.
I guide or fish over 200 days a year, and have used only Simms waders for the last 10 + years. The lodge I work for is "other" endorsed. I get a better deal on "other" waders, but I will only use Simms. "Other" waders are good, but they're not Simms. I have guided since 1999 and a very high percentage of guides I have worked with through the years will use only Simms waders.
My current G3 Guide waders have about 18 months ( a little over 300 days ) of use. I fished this afternoon for about 4 hours out of a float tube; the water temp. was 51 degrees and I was dry when I was done fishing.
I am on several guide programs and receive a discount, or at times free gear. I fish rods from 3 or 4 different companies same with fly lines, jackets, boat bags etc. the only waders I will use are Simms.
I would go with the G3. Take care of them and they will probably last you a long time.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,159 Posts
I guide or fish over 200 days a year, and have used only Simms waders for the last 10 + years. The lodge I work for is "other" endorsed. I get a better deal on "other" waders, but I will only use Simms. "Other" waders are good, but they're not Simms. I have guided since 1999 and a very high percentage of guides I have worked with through the years will use only Simms waders.
My current G3 Guide waders have about 18 months ( a little over 300 days ) of use. I fished this afternoon for about 4 hours out of a float tube; the water temp. was 51 degrees and I was dry when I was done fishing.
I am on several guide programs and receive a discount, or at times free gear. I fish rods from 3 or 4 different companies same with fly lines, jackets, boat bags etc. the only waders I will use are Simms.
I would go with the G3. Take care of them and they will probably last you a long time.
How do these hold up to briars?

·
Registered
17 Posts
How do these hold up to briars?
I moved to Ohio in November from Oregon, and I really did not have to deal with briars so I really can't answer that. They do well when fishing sagebrush and high mountain country if you avoided barbwire and cactus.
About 1/2 of my fishing in Oregon and where I guide in Colorado, New Mexico and Oregon is lake fishing. I wore them when duck hunting in mild weather, but I would not recommend that.
I also like the G3 because I feel they gave me SOME protection against gas and battery acid. No wader is bullet proof, but in day to day use I feel Simms gives me the best bang for the buck. I'm pretty hard on my gear just by the amount of days I use them each year.
If I get a year out of a pair of waders I'm happy. I've never had to use Simms customer service but have heard from friends that it's very good and I've never had to deal with warranty issues.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
Simms customer service but have heard from friends that it's very good and I've never had to deal with warranty issues.

I'll never buy anything from Simms after all the issues my buddy went through with his BOA boots breaking twice within a year. You'd think when you pay top dollar for a product you would get top-dollar customer service and warranty. Nope.

Also extremely upset with Cabela's, mainly their "legendary lifetime guarantee". As others have noted that warranty/guarantee is not for life it's for one year. One of the most deceptive advertising campaigns I've ever come across. Also Cabela's gear rarely lasts a year anymore if you use it hard, most of my waders don't last 6 months. I'm so sick of dealing with the people at the front desk I just assume buy a new pair this point. Pretty obvious that Cabela's Engineers their Footwear to last exactly one year with moderate use.

Also looking to buy a new pair of waders this summer, but not looking to purchase from either Cabela's or Simms.

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,159 Posts
I moved to Ohio in November from Oregon, and I really did not have to deal with briars so I really can't answer that. They do well when fishing sagebrush and high mountain country if you avoided barbwire and cactus.
About 1/2 of my fishing in Oregon and where I guide in Colorado, New Mexico and Oregon is lake fishing. I wore them when duck hunting in mild weather, but I would not recommend that.
I also like the G3 because I feel they gave me SOME protection against gas and battery acid. No wader is bullet proof, but in day to day use I feel Simms gives me the best bang for the buck. I'm pretty hard on my gear just by the amount of days I use them each year.
If I get a year out of a pair of waders I'm happy. I've never had to use Simms customer service but have heard from friends that it's very good and I've never had to deal with warranty issues.
Thanks! I wet wade and have a very high tolerance for cold, so I don't wear waders that often, but when I do - like yesterday for example - I encounter briars galore negotiating the banks and the floodplain, and despite being careful, I tend to ruin one pair of (cheap) neoprenes a year. Last year I ruined two, lol. For this reason, waders are the one accessory I won't spend a lot of money on, even though I have been tempted by Simms and other high-end brands in the past.

·
Crappie Fishin Fanatic
184 Posts
I'm still lost on what kind of boots do you use with those Simms waders? cause doesn't water get in and make it all weird?

·
A one-man wolfpack...
3,159 Posts
I'm still lost on what kind of boots do you use with those Simms waders? cause doesn't water get in and make it all weird?
Wading boots, Simms or some other brand. Don't quote me on this but I think there's a product available (like gators) that covers the top of the boot and keeps out small stones and other debris.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What wading boots do you recommend ?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

I'll never buy anything from Simms after all the issues my buddy went through with his BOA boots breaking twice within a year. You'd think when you pay top dollar for a product you would get top-dollar customer service and warranty. Nope.

Also extremely upset with Cabela's, mainly their "legendary lifetime guarantee". As others have noted that warranty/guarantee is not for life it's for one year. One of the most deceptive advertising campaigns I've ever come across. Also Cabela's gear rarely lasts a year anymore if you use it hard, most of my waders don't last 6 months. I'm so sick of dealing with the people at the front desk I just assume buy a new pair this point. Pretty obvious that Cabela's Engineers their Footwear to last exactly one year with moderate use.

Also looking to buy a new pair of waders this summer, but not looking to purchase from either Cabela's or Simms.
I wouldn't stay away from Simms waders just because your friends boots stunk.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What wading boots do you recommend ?
I'm not a great person to answer that question. I'm tall with big feet, ( 14 ) shoe and ( 15 ) wading boot, so I have somewhat limited options. Thanks goodness for XL. tall waders. with XL feet.
A couple of things I would say is never buy a pair of boots the 1st year they are sold. I've seen from more than one good company, problems with boots that 1st year. Stay away from the Boa system Period. Extra laces are cheap, and take up no space in a boat bag or dry bag. A failure with a boot can ruin a day or a trip; there's no reason to take that chance. I'm not saying they are ALL bad, but stay a way from any companies that puts their name on boots or waders that some other company has produced.
That said, I buy Simms and Korker boots. The boot I wear from Simms are built for the long haul. Korkers will probably not last as long, but boy are they comfortable. Neither boot I wear is still in production. (when I bought my Simms boots, I bought 3 pairs ).
One last thing, direct any questions about gear, not to the sales person at a store, but to the manufacturer.
All companies I've dealt with are happy to speak and answer questions from customers.
Hope that helps.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
I wouldn't stay away from Simms waders just because your friends boots stunk.
It was more the whole debacle with the warranty - took like 2 months to get them back, only to have them ship him the wrong size. Then, 4 months later, the boots broke AGAIN.

When you pay egregious amounts of money for a product you deserve better service than that. If I paid $500 for a pair waders and got that kind of service I would be furious.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts