close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Simmons Marine...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hole-in-da-water, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am going to try to be as unbiased as possible here, but I felt my experience with Simmons Marine near Portage Lakes should be shared. I will try to tell teh story as completely as possible, while trying to convey Mr. Simmons' views as well. I called Simmons last week because I haven't been abel to get my boat started. I ahve been working on it on my own, but couldn't figure it out, so after spending $300 dollars, I decided to have someone figure out what was wrong with it. Anyways, I called Simmons and asked how much to figure out waht was wrong. He said $50-80 just to figure it out, bring it in on Monday. I wasn't able to get it in until Monday night, so I called Tuesday to let them know, and to find out how long. Understandably they were swamped, and didn't know when they could get it in. I called again on Thursday and on Firday, as I am a bit impatient and ancy (I have plans to take the boat to Salt Fork next week, and I still have a lot of work to do on it, I jsut wanted to know why it wasn't starting) Anyways, I get a call Friday afternoon, boat is running, $273 please. I was at first glad that they were able to get to it so fast, then upset as to why it was so much. Called back, $173 for parts and labor to replace the ignition an set the dwell. $100 for rush order. Ok, I definitely understand their reasoning behind all of the charges, and I tried to explain this to Mr. Simmons on the phone. However, I was never told that by rushing my boat I would be charged an additional $100. Never, not once. So, here I am, origianally planning on paying somewhere in the neck of the woods of $80, and I am charged $273. I tried talking to Mr. Simmons, trying to explain that my only hope was to jsut figure out what was wrong with it. We proceeded to have a very intense argument, and I will try to explain both sides.
    When I was calling to get the boat in, I explained to Mr. Simmons that I had purchasd points, condensor and rotor from him, and had purchased parts from other marinas as well. Somewhere in the translation, Mr. Simmons was under the impression I told him all the parts I had purchased from him. This was NEVER the case, but he continued to berate me over the phone. His argument was that here I come, just dropping off the boat, expecting to be pushed in front of a 4-week back-log of boats. He was also upset that I kept calling, asking about the boat. Yes, I understand waht a backlog is, what I am upset about is how I was NEVER told by ANYONE that my boat would be pushed to the front and I would be charged an additional $100 just for that. Had I been told this, because all of my decisions focus on money, I would have declined and said get to it when you can. While trying to convey this discontent to Mr. Simmons, that is when he went on a tirade on the phone. I am very thankful my boat is fixed, but I had to borrow money from my fiance, and let me tell you, that did not make me feel any better, at all.
    The entire time on the phone, I tried to explain I was upset about not being told (a) I would be rushed to the front and (b) that it wuold cost me $100 more. I understand the $173, as they couldn't figure out what was wrong unless they changed the ignition, etc. The $100 is also understandable, but don't you think I should be made aware of the charge and be given the choice to say go ahead or not? And then to be yelled at on the phone by some hothead? I tried to keep my cool as much as possible, but Mr. Simmons, I was apalled at how you treated me. I know that my little letter here won't affect business for you, but I feel some people should know how you treat some of your customers.

2. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Sounds to me like Simmons did you a hell of a nice favor. EVERYONE is backed up this time of year. Your boat could have sat there for weeks.
    I,d say the extra $100 was a well deserved tip. Remember, it was there test equiptment and knowledge. Now go kiss your mechanic! ;) Raider

3. I gotta agree. Maybe it was your 3 phone calls in 4 days that lead him to believe you were in a hurry. When you constantly call someone like that, expect one of two things to happen. Get put at the back of the line, or pay for it.

4. fishingguy

fishingguy The Inferior Fisherman

Let it go, kiss your fiance, and enjoy the boat! Boats are not cheap, with any hobby you can expect to pay more than you would like. It is what it is!

5. CoolWater

CoolWater Multi-Species Fanatic

I see your point about being made aware of special rush charges up front - but under the circumstances... hafta say I agree with the marina overall on what they did and what they are charging you.

6. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

just look at your screen name.throw money in da hole???????? live and learn. ask and you shall recieve. i would be a little pizzed too, but o well, it is fixed now

7. As most people have stated, I would just be glad to have a working boat, I wish my boat was working :( However the $100 rush charge is something I have to disagree with. Nothing should ever be done without direct consent from the customer. Simmons could have worked something out with you over the phone in a civilized manner, instead of taking the actions he did, that was a little uncalled for.

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I can see both points.

I will also add, that when I owned IOs, Jim Simmons was the only person that I'd let work on them. That goes the same with four of my friends that own IOs. He'll get it done right in half the time that it would take other nudnicks just to figure out what's wrong with it.

He might be a little hot headed, but his shop is extremely busy, and for good reason. I'm sure he gets dozens of call on the daily basis from boaters that want their rig yesterday.

9. I'm not for a minute questioning the skill of simmons or his mechanics. They did get my boat running, and yes, I probably should not have called as much. But does that mean he has a right to charge me an extra $100 without telling me he is doing so? That's what I am upset about, then he lost his temper, when a simple explanation could have sufficed. I mean, yes, I am happy my boat is running, but now I can't even afford to put gas in it. Just would have liked to have been told, is my complaint.

10. I would think when you called the first time you should have been told something like, "There are several customers ahead of you but if you like we could look at it right away for an extra fee of $100." The charge is very reasonable as you seem to agree. Just should have been told right away and some day he may regret losing his temper all the time.

11. I'd be willing to bet the $100 extra wasn't something he normally charges. He was sick of the phone calls. Shops can't get work done if they're on the phone all day, especially when you were likely told the same thing every day you called. The $100 was likely so you would learn a lesson, or at least not come back.

12. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

yea , never pizz of you barber or your lawyer.L.O.L.

13. Now that's just good business...

Now maybe if they might have told me something productive, like when they might ACTUALLY have the opportunity to get it in, even a ball park, I wouldn't have called back. If he was tryignt o teach me a lesson, he could have just said stop calling, we will call you. Not charge me $100 without telling me. Businesses aren't run based solely on the service you offer, it's also how you treat your customers.

14. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i like your scrn name...hole in da water... very fitting. simmons is def. a class act. i feel for you though

15. Business are also run by weeding out those customers that cost you more money than they bring you, or those that are never happy. Personally, after the second phone call I would have told you to pick up your boat and take somewhere else, as it was obvious I couldn't get to it fast enough. Then, you would be at the back of the line somewhere else, likely waiting for a few weeks. His way, you actually got your boat back in time.

16. I have never had a boat worked on but I thought you always had to be notified of charges up front before any work can be done, thats the way it is with most mechanics. It keeps shops from charging extreme prices for work without the customer being able to object and take it some place else. The $100 rush charge sucks, especially since you didn't know about it, but your boat is running. When I have anything worked on, all I ask for is an estimated time and price. At the minimum they should of called you and said "we can get your boat in early but it will be an extra $100, if you don't wanna pay the extra $100 it will 3 weeks." Atleast you would of been given a choice and a time frame. JMO

Jake

17. When you called those few times throughout the week what were you asking? If it was just seeing how things were coming along and you weren't getting answers they I would probably keep calling too. If they kept telling you they haven't got to it yet then I would have held off on the calls.

I know having a mechanic on the phone means they aren't working but customer service is a priority. I had some major work done my truck a while back and if something came up that they needed authorized on purchase they took the 3-4 minutes out to call me, tell me what was going on and see if that was something I wanted to pay.

In my book. If ANYTHING costs more than the quote they give you they should call to have you authorize any further charges.

18. toad

toad geriatrics supporter

I understand the phone calls get a little old but I run my own company and the pain in the butt calls come with the business. In short if you run your own business and don't want to be bothered with the phone calls maybe it time for him to sell out and retire.

19. Everybody has to understand that the reason I am upset was because I was never notified of the charges. If his goal was to weed out a customer, then he definitely did it. I do understand that calling so much wasn't good. When I called, I would ask when they thought they might get it in, and all I got was "I don't know" Yes, I should have stopped calling, but he could have simply said exactly what others here have said. We can rush it for $100, or you can wait and we will get to it sometime next week, or two weeks, whatever. I should have been notified. Yes, I am thankful my boat is running, don't doubt me on that. I just wanted to be told of the charge and given the choice rather than be charged blindly.

20. I understand why your upset. I'm just letting you know what I suspect his thought process was. A good business with good customers can afford to lose some, and customers that call every day are an enormous burden. Good customers are gained and kept by quality of service, nothing else. When I have a customer that calls daily, I finish the job on MY timeline. I then tell them that they should look for someone else for future work, as I'm obviously not fast enough for them. If I couldn't afford to weed out customers, I'd have to wonder why. I still think you should be extremely grateful that they got your boat done in a few days, where as most places would take a couple/few weeks. You said yourself you had plans, and you were very unlikely to get your boat back in time. They told you up front they were backed up, yet you called daily. You paid a little extra and got your boat fixed in a few days, where many folks are still waiting. Take it as a $100 lesson that business have to work to their time line, not yours. In the big picture, it's not that big of deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.