close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Silly Sonar Question(s)

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TAG24, Apr 2, 2008.

1. TAG24

TAG24 Member

Watching fishing shows on tv, I often see sonar units at the bow with transducers mounted on the trolling motor. What happens when they pull up the trolling motor to make a run to another location? Do they shut the power off or just leave it on? Is there any harm in leaving it on with the transducer out of the water?

2. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

It doesnt hurt anything to leave the unit on I do it all the time.

3. No it should not matter.

Some transducers though will get intereference from the trolling motor and cause your display to not function properly. I know this is a problem with the Side Imagining units which is why mine is mounted on the back of the boat.

It could be because the SI units sidescan operates at higher frequencies, not totally sure though.

4. BlueBoat98

BlueBoat98 Where's Waldo?

It doesn't hurt anything but mine will go to several hundred feet deep when I pick it up. Sometimes it will adjust when I drop it back in but other times I have to turn it off and back on. It's worth it to have that transducer right down there in front of me.

MC

5. TAG24

TAG24 Member

CARP 104 - how do you like your SI unit? I just installed my new one and was thinking of putting the old unit up front. I'm hoping to get out on the water this weekend to get my first look at the SI in action.