Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it turns chilly out in the mornings what do you guys wear for pants in kayaks? Normally I just wear shorts and water shoes but with the temps only going to be in the low '60's this weekend I was curious what others might be wearing.

See you out there,

Ben

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Breathable waders are great.
Also this time of year I'll wear those quick dry pants with the zip off legs. Those are eeasy to hike up when you get into the water knee deep.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was hoping to honestly find a cheaper option. Waders are kinda pricey but I do want some for wading....

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
benjaminrogers,
I just wear some camo cargo pants, that I normally use for hunting. However, I will put a rubber-backed rug (2' x 3') on the floor of the kayak to add an insulation layer. The rubber backing keeps it from sliding around. :)

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do you put it under your legs or butt too? I like the fatigue pants idea...

benjaminrogers,
I just wear some camo cargo pants, that I normally use for hunting. However, I will put a rubber-backed rug (2' x 3') on the floor of the kayak to add an insulation layer. The rubber backing keeps it from sliding around. :)

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
benjaminrogers said:
Do you put it under your legs or butt too? I like the fatigue pants idea...
benjaminrogers,
I put it under my legs, as the seat won't allow for anything to be put under it. Besides, I have added a cushion seat that keeps me away from the deck floor. As the weather turns colder, I may fabricate a partial spray skirt, to keep some warmth in and any water out.

Bowhunter57

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to start with a pair of Wally World sweatpants and see how that works.

·
Mad SOT YAKER!
1,999 Posts
I went out yesterday, cold and rainy. I wore nice pair long underwear that wicks, very important, and a shirt that does the same and a paddle jacket. Nice thing about the coosa,i never got wet, butt dry and never stepped in the water, legs got dripped on from the paddle but I had rain pants on. The longer you kayak, the better your gear gets
Sent from my htc thunderbolt from my kayak :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where is a good place to pick up gear like that? I'm a big guy so sizes might be tough.

I went out yesterday, cold and rainy. I wore nice pair long underwear that wicks, very important, and a shirt that does the same and a paddle jacket. Nice thing about the coosa,i never got wet, butt dry and never stepped in the water, legs got dripped on from the paddle but I had rain pants on. The longer you kayak, the better your gear gets
Sent from my htc thunderbolt from my kayak :)

·
Who?
3,415 Posts
Wally World, Gander, Dicks...they all have some good wicking "Under Armour" type of long johns, and any halfass rain pants will work.
Keeping your arse dry is nice. I'm jealous of Stucky's dry tushy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts