Silence your climber...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by vc1111, Oct 15, 2008.

1. I'm sure I'm not the first guy to think of this, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I have Summit treestand and I love it. I've been using it for about 9 years now. Its very comfortable and easy to use. I've seen the newer ones and really never saw any features that would make me want to upgrade.

Anyway, here's how I modified my Summit. I'm sure it should work on about any climber and its cheap and extremely easy to do.

I bought some of those pads the are used by the Marines and the Army for ground padding under a sleeping bag. They are made of a green foam and if you can find them at an Army Surplus store like I did, you can get the used ones for a buck or two. You'll only need one, but I bought several. (I actually use one under my sleeping bag occasionally too). I'm sure if you check around on the net you can find them cheap.

Anyway just cut up the "ground pad" and use zip ties to place padding under the "arm rests" of the part you sit on.

I also chose to pad the rails of the platform too. I used 1/2 pipe insulation for the platform, although I could have used the sleeping bag pad for the bottom too. The pipe insulation is also dirt cheap.

Here's a some pictures...the platform:
    [​IMG]
    I chose to pad the side support rails on the platform (the part you stand on) because it silences the cables a bit when installing the climber on a tree. The cables on a Summit climber are metal covered with shrink tubing, but the rails into which you insert the cables are hollow aluminum. Without a bit of padding they tend to sort reverberate when you slide the cable in after wrapping it around the tree. This bit of padding dampens the sound nicely and keeps your hand warmer because you're not handling cold aluminum on those chilly mornings.

Next here is the seat platform with the arm rails covered and back rest covered. I covered these parts with the sleeping bad padding material:
    [​IMG]
    Its really nice to have to backrest support bars covered because they're cold when you lean back while hunting those frosty days. The padding also keeps anything on your harness or clothing from making noise when contacting the arm rests or back rest. Padded arm rests are much more comfortable compared to placing your forearms on cold aluminum too.

Now here's a closer view showing how I covered the wing nut which holds the bow holder onto the stand. That wing nut hits you right in the forearm when climbing and sort of digs in a bit. Its annoying so I covered it with pipe insulation which is a bit thicker:
    [​IMG]

Total cost is maybe $5 or $6 and the stuff is very naturally colored...sort of a green and gray. You could also take a black marker and add a bit of contrast for additional camo effect if you want, but I've been using mine for years and really haven't noticed a need for that. But it would be cool to do anyway.:D

Make sure to use a pair of sidecutter to snip off the excess ends of the cable ties very close to the locking device on the cable ties. That way there will be no sharp edges to snag your hands or make noise. I also make sure that the cable tie clamping device is under the rails and armrests so that you don't scrape them with your clothing when standing up to make a shot.

All in all, it is a great way to save a few bucks when compared to purchasing the padded armrests from Summit or any other climber manufacturer.

Lastly, I bought a few of those camo bags from Walmart and zip tied those to the sides to hold calls, a bow hook, my rope, and all the other gadgets we can't seem to do without when hunting. I bought them after the season was over and they were on sale for about $4. I have three attached to the arm rests so I can actually bring some granola bars or even a small thermos of coffee. I love my coffee from 22 feet up on a fine autumn morning.;)

2. Seems like a lot of work, but I bet it is effective. I also have a Summit and love it. I carry all my calls in a fanny pack, which I fasten around the tree just above my right shoulder. I got mine at wal-mart for 5 bucks.

3. Actually, it takes about 20 to thirty minutes total. The stuff cuts like butter with a sharp knife and of course, the zip ties go on very easily.

4. Byg

Byg

Is that the open shot stand? How do you like it?

5. SUPER IDEA! Thanks for the info,
    Nik

6. I tried something new this year and really like it. I don't like keeping my quiver attached to my bow while hunting but i wanted it accesible.

Buy a spare quiver attachment piece(the one that usually attaches to your bow), drill a small hole somewhere on the side of your stand and attach the plastic piece with a nut and bolt. Now when i hoist my bow up, i take off the quiver and slide it onto the stand attachment. I have the bolt fairly tight, but loose enough to adjust the angle if needed.

7. Great ideas. I have the Bushmaster and padded my armrests on the top section with black foam padding similar to what used. After reading your post i think i ll do the bottom also.

8. Thanks for the replies.

Byg, the Summit I have is the older model...lol, waaay older. Its the Bushmaster XLS. It is also an open design for bowhunting.

9. carxman17

carxman17 cincinnati fishaholic

I like the idea of the lower stand being padded. I have a new summit. It came with the padded arm rest but nothing on the lower one. I also found a trick for hanging things. I went to walmart & bought a couple of hooks in the hardware section that you would hang coats on & screwed them on the outside of the arm rest to hang my pack & bow on!!!

10. I love my summit I have a viper the only problem I ever had was 2 years ago it squeeked when my fat --- reajusted in it. I solved that with that camo wrap you can get at Dicks sporting goods no more squeekes. Thank some one for harnses cause summits are so comfortable you realy get tired in them.