Ohio Game Fishing banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
On the back 9 and loving it!
10,748 Posts
I agree but you worded it strange.

Good workers get more pay. They dont "lower their standards" either. If you dont have enough money to hire the people who can do the job the way you want then you dont have enough for a company.
Not necessarily so if they are a union member.

·
TeamOGF
6,990 Posts
I saw on Fox News today, Mike Rowe from his TV series "Dirty Jobs" said that in the US currently there are 13 million available jobs.
And 7 million able-bodied men capable of working who do not have a job. ...And they don't want one.
And this doesn't even include the number of able-bodied, capable women who could go to work, however many they are.

This needs to turn around, ...and soon, or we are in serious trouble as a nation.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not necessarily so if they are a union member.
Union members have it far better than non union workers overall.

But to say union workers make up a different population then non-union workers is nonsense. There are good ones and lazy ones.

And a union keeps all the bootlickers that will work unpaid time in check.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I saw on Fox News today, Mike Rowe from his TV series "Dirty Jobs" said that in the US currently there are 13 million available jobs.
And 7 million able-bodied men capable of working who do not have a job. ...And they don't want one.
And this doesn't even include the number of able-bodied, capable women who could go to work, however many they are.

This needs to turn around, ...and soon, or we are in serious trouble as a nation.
Mike Rowe is a career actor that has never worked a day in his life. That dude is making millions off of being a fake. I cannot even believe any actually believe this guy has ever worked hard once.
His first job was at a movie theater then he became an actor. He acts like that is a natural progression, I mean come on this guy is a fraud.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well I’ll stop after this since it’s going the wrong direction. Just because he isn’t blue collar doesn’t mean he doesn’t work. 5 million toward skilled labor scholarships is pretty good. He helps kids get started in the trade business. Watched a good show with him on this old house. Far from a fraud.
I agree I like how he tries to get people in the trades.

Hes the living embodiment of the term "grifter".

I have no respect for him because of that.

·
TeamOGF
6,990 Posts
Buzzy, thanks for his background. His jobs he's worked doesn't matter. He's concerned about the stats he shared. I don't have a lot of respect for a lot of actors but its not because of their work.
Don't get derailed by Mike Rowe as a person, his message is what matters, and what I'm talking about here.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Mike Rowe is a career actor that has never worked a day in his life. That dude is making millions off of being a fake. I cannot even believe any actually believe this guy has ever worked hard once.
His first job was at a movie theater then he became an actor. He acts like that is a natural progression, I mean come on this guy is a fraud.
He is a good host/narrator and I have enjoyed many of his shows. Easy for me to see why he's successful. Part of his success stems from being like the common man IMO. So you'd rather watch a show hosted by Tyra Banks, Ryan Seacrestt, or RuPaul

Kip

·
TeamOGF
6,990 Posts
Buzzy, I don't know where you get that Mike Rowe is a fake. No personal attack here toward you.
I've also enjoyed watching his series. It educates and brings recognition and appreciation to those blue collar hard working jobs.
I think your seeing it backwards, he not only describes and talks about some very challenging jobs; he goes it one further and actually goes on the job to give us an even better understanding of what that job is like.
I've never heard him misrepresent himself or glorify himself for doing his show.

I'm at a loss to follow your line of reasoning.

Not bragging, I worked in a steel mill for forty years and know about some tough jobs and shifts.
I can relate to hard work, been there.
Which is not to say that hard work doesn't also happen in an office.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I can tell you from fifty years plus that as long as you're working and not sitting on your dead a$$, you are contributing. From hod carrier at 12 years old, muffler mechanic at 17, engineering co-op in college, machinist, welder, shop supervisor, manufacturing engineer for everything from pumps to navy nuclear products, design and development engineer for US military armored vehicles, system technical support manager, manufacturing engineer and finishing by retiring as senior manufacturing engineering staff manager, forced to retire when covid hit but I went back working from home every day now -- if you are not contributing and working to make life better for you, your family, and society in general, you have achieved very little in your own life. Mike Rowe is working (contributing), whether it's considered acting or not, to convey images and situations of real people in real jobs that you probably would not undertake for any reason. I like the guy's ingenuity in creating his shows' formats, and his message.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
MESSAGE....that's the key word here.

When I was discharged from the Army in 1969, the LAST thing I wanted to do was go to college as I saw that environment as being negative about MY patriotic views. Right or wrong, that's how I viewed it & college was not a "fit" for me ( I also was never a "classroom type" guy). At the same time, college was stressed & the trades were not portrayed in a positive light. I didn't go to college & I didn't go into the trades. I worked in underpaid, stressful, & under appreciated middle management & retail jobs for many years, never truly enjoying my "jobs".

I wish there had been a "Mike Rowe" out there with his message in my younger years. My working career would have been much different. His message is, IMHO, important & necessary. It gives more options to young men & women. BTW, my retirement job now is driving folks to & from medical appointments & I LOVE it!! Every day is different & rewarding.

Mike

·
Registered
320 Posts
You guys are all giving him too much credit. He is a career actor, JUST ACTING. Everything about him is fake, from his message (which is to promote his shows) to his outfit (which is just a costume) to his show (where he does a little bit of the job wit the manager then leaves). If you think for one second its all not acting and a gimmick, thats fine.

You guys can like him, I'm going to continue to think he is a poser who tells hard working americans how to do something he has never once had to do.

But I will not give him any credit and I do not think his messages are sound. He is like Dave Ramsey in my mind.

And I'm finished.

·
Registered
991 Posts

Unfortunately I think we are in trouble. The eroding work ethic is just part of the moral decay that is prevalent today. Seems to have really picked up steam the last 15 or so years. Not sure if there's a way to stop it, maybe just the natural course of civilizations. I know I find myself staying in my little bubble more than I ever did.

Kip

·
2,317 Posts
You guys are all giving him too much credit. He is a career actor, JUST ACTING. Everything about him is fake, from his message (which is to promote his shows) to his outfit (which is just a costume) to his show (where he does a little bit of the job wit the manager then leaves). If you think for one second its all not acting and a gimmick, thats fine.

You guys can like him, I'm going to continue to think he is a poser who tells hard working americans how to do something he has never once had to do.

But I will not give him any credit and I do not think his messages are sound. He is like Dave Ramsey in my mind.

And I'm finished.

As someone who has workedd in the "trades", I appreciate Mike Rowe. Oh, and by the way, you were finished about 4 or 5 posts ago....

·
Registered
944 Posts
And the reason drivers do the things you mention is do to the fact that law enforcement has throttled back on citations. Guess stupid is at all levels in today’s society.
Seems we as a nation have forgotten the morals that once made us strong. Sad times ahead.
And the reason drivers do the things you mention is do to the fact that law enforcement has throttled back on citations. Guess stupid is at all levels in today’s society.
Seems we as a nation have forgotten the morals that once made us strong. Sad times ahead.
I, have begged the OSP to sit in my drive, to watch the traffic light. There reply, We do not have the manpower. That tells me. The state does not want to hire more people.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts