close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

sight fishing?

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by hardwaterfan, Dec 7, 2004.

1. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Hey ive been reading about sight fishing and i know it sounds like taking a big step backwards but i am really dying to try this. The shanty i got makes it pitch black and im really looking forward to doing some sight fishing this season.

Any tips or hints besides "drop bait, look"?

How deep of water can you see and sight fish in clear water?

I cant wait to try this. There is a shallow lake nearby where they stock small rainbow trout for fishing through the ice, they bite in like 5' of water so i think ill start there. (shadow lake)

2. I just watch the Vexilar! I guess that's sort of site fishing!

At PI, you can watch the fish all day long take your jigs.

3. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

They do a lot of sight fishing in Lake St. Clair through the ice for perch. Thw water is really clear and only 5-6 ft deep where they are fishing.

In MI you are allowed to spear the perch in LSC. If they can't get them to bite they just spear them.LOL

Kim

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

lol BD

more like a hypnotic trance/stare...who will blink first, me or the vex....

lundy can we catch perch that shallow around here? i always thought perch prefered deeper water.

5. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Lake St. Clair is a very shallow lake. Water depth (deep) is relative to the body of water. 5-6 ft is fairly deep for much of LSC. To reach these depths is a mile or more from shore in the area that I watched them ice fish last year.

Kim

6. Growing Up I Fished A Pit That Averaged 20 Ft. You Could See Fish All Year Round, Some Down 10 Ft. Expecually At Ice Up. This Pit Was Also Stocked With Trout By Pa. But Youll Have Better Luck With Snow On By Pre Drillin Holes Off Trees. Come Back A-half Hour And Hold On. I Watched Alot Of Bass Ingolf Bait Sight Fishin But There Spooky. :)

7. do u need a PENSILVENIA licence to fish PI

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

If by PI you are asking about Presque Ilse, yes you need a PA fishing license.

Kim

9. They do a little of it at Lake Simcoe in Cooks Bay. Also at Presque Isle as soon as you get on the penninsula, the 1st parking lot, 6-7ft. Towards the end of the season many of the fish, (all species) seem to move up into this area, also known as the head of the bay. You"ll know when the fish are there, be a million shacks there. Lotsa fun, in the shack look down the hole and watch the fish hit your bait or move it away if its a small one. Also can watch the panfish scatter when a pike or pickerel moves into the area.