close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Siesta KeySarasota)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reports - Out of State' started by redhawk fisherman, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Heading to Siesta Key with the family over Christmas break and will have a . few hours to fish in the mornings before any one else gets up. Has any one ever done any good in the surf or from bridges in the winter in those areas?

2. Caught the biggest fish of my life off the beach at Longboat Key (just North of where you're headed) on Christmas Eve a few years ago. Fishing the surf with finger mullet, 7/0 O'Shaunessy hook, 30-lb mono, 2/0 swivel, 6-oz slipsinker (hey, this sounds like a flathead rig!), 60-lb shock leader and 95-lb wire leader. Fished every night for a week, and every night got spooled of 330 yards of line, straight out into the ocean without stopping. Christmas Eve, same setup, same hit & run. I ran out into the water up to my chest(sounds pretty dumb, now) as the knot showed up on the spool. After 4 long runs and about an hours worth of pump and reel, we had a 6-ft Blacktip Shark, estimated weight 150 to 175 lbs. Used the wave action to wash it onto the beach. Photo'd, the cut the wire and pushed it back into the surf. It swam away like nothing ever happened.

There wasn't much going on on the piers during that trip. Supposedly something to do with the tide pattern, as this was the closest the moon had come to the earth in 130 years, and it was a full moon with glass-clear nights. Middle of the night looked like daylight. Absolutely beautiful for fishing, though. We had scheduled a 6-hour trip for day-after-Christmas with Cpt. Roy on the Happy Hooker II out of Bradenton. When we arrived at the dock at 6AM the boat was sitting on the bottom at low tide. Delay was about 3 hours to get the boat free. Myself and My son Kevin, along with four other persons, had a great day bottom bouncing for Grouper (biggest was ~29 lb), drifting cigar minnows for King Mackerel (24 lb), and took a False Albacore, too. Had a great time.

If you get a chance, there's Christmas breakfast on the beach, with Santa.

Hope you have a great trip over the holidays.

3. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Sarasota was my homeland for 8 years, know it well!

You'd do better to fish the bay area if you just want to catch fish. I've never done any good on the surf, though that time of year you won't have a problem finding a place to fish as the beaches will be empty. You do NOT need heavy surf gear, as there is usually no surf.

There is a small 'park' area on the southwest side of the north drawbridge leading to siesta key. I spent lots of time fishing there.

ALSO - if you can find a spot to fish Phillipi creek near Riverview High School (not far from Siesta), the snook will be hitting topwater plugs that time of year.

Have fun.

4. Thanks for all the replies! I will report when I get back.
    I don't know if they make kayaks for 250 lb. people though! :D

5. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

God Realfish, Economy Tackle on US41, now there are some memories!!!! I stocked my first tacklebox ever full of lures for Snook from Economy Tackle, not to mention that I bought my Dad (God rest his soul) a Xmas gift of an ugly stick and a Penn spinning reel there, which I still have. That was my last present to him as he passed on three days before Xmas, right after my 15th birthday. I've used that combo once since he died, caught the biggest coho salmon of the trip in Alaska a number of years ago. I miss him dearly.

6. phisherman

phisherman can't land em Teddy

As previous posts have stated, there is good surf fishing a few miles south of siesta on longboat key. there is public access not far off of 41.

for other ideas, you might want to try near midnight pass on the island, or if you are around the bay side, the farther up Phillipi creek you go, the better the fishing has been in my experience. There's more than snook going after topwater plugs- i've seen other fish pulled out of the creek by guys using plugs as well.

7. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Uh, longboat key is NORTH of siesta, not south.

ALSO, almost forgot, the public pier in Vience Beach is not bad at all, I've caught some real big fish off it. And there is a great rest/bar at the beginning of it now, so if the fish aren't biting, you can still have fun ;)

8. all great advice but if ya nite fish get a gill net and fish off one of the bridges near siesta,drop your lite near the water and the bait fish will come. drop your gill net down near lite and get bait. hook through the snout and lower it back down with the pack and when you see them scatter .....HANG ON HERE COMES A SNOOK!!!!!we were breaking 50 lb test like nothing when the hit. they also like to wrap the pilings, so set your drag good and have a blast from underneith,good fishing i also lived in sarasota a year.wonder if big daddys is still out there? a nice packed bar

9. captnroger

captnroger OGF Webmaster

Man HH, you are bringing back some fond memories. The spring shrimp runs, we'd go out at night and hang a lantern over the seawall and wait for the glowing eyes to swim by and scoop them up with a long handled net. While my dad caught shrimp I'd be chucking a lure out in the night trying to catch a ladyfish to bait up for a big snook. You'd hear tons of fish crashing on the shrimp out in the night. And having a snook take a 14-16" ladyfish you're using for bait is something else. I remember one night we got home around midnight with 10 dozen fresh shrimp and 20lbs of fresh snook, got mom out of bed to fry us up a late dinner. Snook rates right up there as some of the best fish you can eat.

<sigh> looking out the window this morning at all this white stuff coming down makes me miss it that much more.

Another great fish to catch around those bridges is sheephead. Not worth a lick to eat, but they fish tough.

10. one of the best or two are the spanish mackeral and the spec trout,awesome dinners,really miss the fishing but, missed the snow and ice fishing more.