Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at replacing my aluminum siding with an insulated vinyl. I have a few people coming out to quote in the next couple weeks. This is something I can do my self but dont really have time. So my question is, I can remove all the aluminum siding, j-channels, corners, etc... Recycle it to help off set the cost plus save on labor cost. I already have one company quote and told me the price was the same either way. I think that's BS. What do you think?

·
BigV
1,135 Posts
Looking at replacing my aluminum siding with an insulated vinyl. I have a few people coming out to quote in the next couple weeks. This is something I can do my self but dont really have time. So my question is, I can remove all the aluminum siding, j-channels, corners, etc... Recycle it to help off set the cost plus save on labor cost. I already have one company quote and told me the price was the same either way. I think that's BS. What do you think?
Most folks can save enough by recycling the aluminium siding to get their garage done free. Aluminum siding is currently going for around $.45 a pound.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The reason the quotes are probably the same is that they can probably remove the alum siding and recover their labor cost through what they recieve by selling the scrap. The other thing to consider is that your entire house will need to be stripped when they show up...a good crew will side the entire house in a day or so. They aren't going to wait while you demo the old siding. Are you are willing to do this ahead of time and count on the siding company to show up on the day they say they will? Your house may be exposed to the elements in the mean time. Just a thought.

Tim

·
Registered
16 Posts
Get a start date so you can do your part. Just get estimates for a install. That way your house is safe from the elements. If it is a good company they can tell u when they will start

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
I'm pretty sure that even if they do the whole job..you can still keep the old siding..it is yours... I just had my central a/c completely replaced... They were gonna keep all the old stuff..but I said I wanted it...scrapped it myself for $110.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure that even if they do the whole job..you can still keep the old siding..it is yours... I just had my central a/c completely replaced... They were gonna keep all the old stuff..but I said I wanted it...scrapped it myself for $110.
That's one of the options I want to explore as well. But I could probably strip the old siding off in a day easy.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The siding is yours. They should remove it and pile it up for you. If they said the labor price is the same why not let them do the tear-off and you can laugh all the way to the scrap yard. :D

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
The siding is yours. They should remove it and pile it up for you. If they said the labor price is the same why not let them do the tear-off and you can laugh all the way to the scrap yard. :D
Lol..exactly!!! And remember... If THEY screw up or break something on the tear down..THEY are responsible for the fix...not saying you would screw it up..but if you accidentally did..you gotta pay for the repair

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.