close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Sick Birds

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by fishy mcgee, Jun 30, 2005.

1. I was wondering if anyone has encountered any sick birds lately? I've had 2 different robins in my yard in a week that were just sitting there. My big dog was growling at one from about a foot away, bird didn't flinch. I squirted it with a hose and it just sat there. Finally hopped off into the much bed and was gone in a few hours. I found another one last night sitting on the sidewalk in front of my house. I took some close-up pictures of it from less than a foot away, again, it just sat there.

I called ODNR, since they solicit that type of thing. The symptoms are just like West Nile's as described on their website. As I described it ODNR guy, I don't think I've ever heard anyone reply faster "there'snowestnileinohio". I asked him what else would cause that behavior. "uhm, ah, some sort of infection......"

I'll catch the next one I see. Does anyone know where to get independent testing done? Normally I don't care, but I have a 14 month old daughter who loves to play outside. She's got a few mosquito bites already. I'd feel better knowing what it is.

2. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

Good luck. I called the Health Dept about a similar situation and was given the same line. OKEEDOKIE. I won't bother you people no more. I"LL CALL THE TV STATION INSTEAD.

3. mikie_fin

mikie_fin Ohio & California

Please be careful if it is in fact West Nile. Do you think someone poisoned them? In California where I live, the Coast Guard here has been finding pelicans with their pouches slit. Talk about having too much time on ones hands. Seals also have been targets of cruel people. I start seeing red when I read about this *@#& happening.

4. There already was ONE confirmed case in Stark County. We reported it on the news earlier this week. It was found in a bird.

I would direct all West Nile questions to your county health department. I really don't believe they will blow you off like that, as it's a serious health issue.

Also, if you find any dead birds, stay away from them.

5. traphunter

traphunter Guest

Could they just be young/newly hatched birds? They sometimes act like that if they fall early from the nest.

6. crankus_maximus

Big Daddy. I was blown off - like dandelion fluff in the wind. Believe it. I couldn't believe it myself.

7. Sorry you were told that. I do know the ODNR and health agencies won't pick up dead birds anymore.

For West Nile info and updates, here's a site for you.

Ohio Dept of Health

Click on ALERTS/ADVISORIES ands follow the prompts to West Nile.

There you go.

8. crankus_maximus

Thanks man. Nice gliff at the bottom.

9. I have seen birds get drunk from eating rotten fruit like cherries?? maybe you got some lushes??? :D

10. That could very well be it. A neighbor has some berry bearing tree. The 2nd bird was sitting atop a berry-filled diarrhea puddle. That could be it.

11. I found one of my cats yesterday morning dead in the front yard. He has come home in the past with birds, mice, etc, that he has caught and killed. He finally killed a squirrel a couple of days ago (getting bolder, I guess). When I discovered him in the yard, I didn't find any sign of injury on him. I did make me wonder what had happened. I figure it could have been poisoning or disease from the critters, maybe even West Nile.

I considered calling the authorities to see if they had received any similar reports, but figured it would just result in a dead end. From what I read on the Dept. of Health website, it sounds like West Nile was a long shot.

12. crankus_maximus

Dude, that's kind of a gross little mental picture I didn't need.

13. eagleclaw

eagleclaw Banned

three weeks ago i saw two dead birds in my neighborhood.. didn't do nothing
    if it the west nile virus i'm leaving them alone.. been bit by skeeters nothing
    happen to me at all knock on wood