close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shrooms!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WalleyeJones, Mar 14, 2008.

1. WalleyeJones

WalleyeJones Extra Long Member

It's almost that time of year. I remember finding mushrooms on Easter weekend a few years ago. May not happen this year, but it won't be long...

2. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

You're farther South I see, may find them a week or so ahead of us in Central Ohio. Earliest I have ever found a morel in Ohio was March 25th. I just don't see that happening this year unless of course we get into the 60s and 70s next week!!

3. WalleyeJones

WalleyeJones Extra Long Member

The thickest mushroom patch I ever found was up towards Mansfield. I was afraid to move for fear of stepping on one. I think you're lucky to be a little further north...even if you have to wait a bit longer.

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

theyre finding them now in Georgia.... road trip anyone? :D

Attached Files:

5. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

FYI before I get more emails reporting those as "illegal mushroom pics posted on OGF", please note they are M O R E L S :D

Carry on fellas..;)

6. 1977 walleye guy

1977 walleye guy Addicted Outdoorsman

That was funny shake........probably true, but still funny

7. hardwaterfan

lol :D :D

8. Fishaholic69

Fishaholic69 Fly Fishing Addict

what does a morel taste like? whats the big thing about um that everyone pics um for?

9. I only pick the little mushrooms...

10. hardwaterfan

well theyre just mushrooms..i mean you could buy them dried in the store (little ones).....for me its about being out in the woods when spring FINALLY gets here. and theyre very hard to find, the challenge is fun. and they are very good mushrooms. if youre into mushrooms, morels rank among the best tasting of all mushrooms. imo amongst shiitake, king bolete, etc. (these can also be bought at the store).

i guess its just like fishing. you could go buy fish at the store, or you could go spend a fun day catching fish on a lake. same thing, same reasons.

11. hardwaterfan

chadwimc those are some beauties!

12. 1977 walleye guy

1977 walleye guy Addicted Outdoorsman

I second that wow!!! looks like he had a better day shrooming than chasing the ol' long beard's .

13. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

or you could buy them for $149 a pound.

Copied from a gourmet cooking site:

Morel Mushrooms - Our wild Morel mushrooms have an extremely delicate flavor that is complex and irresistible. These morels are hand picked in the USA, sun dried to approximately one tenth of their fresh weight. Other dealers do sell low quality morels cultivated in Asia.
    We hand select the best quality caps, no small pieces or broken morels. The flavor of these dry morels is uncomparable. We like to soak our organic morel mushrooms in Madeira or hot water for twenty minutes then use them with the liquid. Saute in olive oil or add to a pizza, sauce, soup or stew. These are the best morels available. These whole hand selected dry Morel mushrooms are very high quality.
    Please call us for large quantity discounts.
    Here are some Morel facts and pictures

1 lb. #1 Grade Morel Mushrooms
    On Sale $149.00 (FREE SHIPPING)

Quantity:

14. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

One bite and you'll understand what all of the hoopla is about.

15. shroomhunter

Het, I got a kick out of reading that add for their morels. They claim others sell Asian grown cultivated ones.....now that's a fine piece of marketing there.
    And how do they know their morels taste better than mine?

$149 a pound..WOW, I never sell any but at that price I should be. I wonder what I could get for a pint jar of my premium, hand selected,spring water canned morels. You would have a choice of a pint jar of black morels, grey morels or yellow morels and then of course the choice of vintages would have to be a factor. I have dated jars from 1999 up through '07 and of course '06 and '07 were cold dry years so they are rare vintages. Just Kidding, sorry not for sale!! That company has a very well written add, I wonder if those are burn site morels or morels from the Western slopes of the Sierra Nevadas. I would think that adding the allure of an exotic location such as The Cascades or Mt. Hood, Yosemite, Yellowstone etc. would be a catchy idea.
    Not that those morels really taste any better than a morel from Ohio, Michigan or any other State for that matter. I've had them from all over and the best tasting ones I've ever had were the very first skilletful of any year!!

16. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

I've seen morels for sale in a local 'higher end' market for $35/half pound. Same place that sells yellow perch for $22/pound.

17. shroomhunter

They are now finding them in Tennessee, I'm heading there next weekend for a long weekend getaway. I'll be lookin'!!!

18. You can buy them at the liquor store in Springfield; I think they are $6 an ounce, but don't hold me to it. They are dehydrated. I've never purchased any, but I do burn the leather off my boots finding them each year:D

There is an article in April's issue of Fur-Fish-Game about morels for those that may be interested. It provides basic tips and areas to check, but the best advice I can give is to spend some time in the woods and keep your mouth shut when you locate a good area.

I found a GREAT public area in the middle of Columbus when I was at OSU. It was in a very bad part of the city by a bike trail/walking path. I would get weird looks and had several people ask me what I was doing - I always replied "just cutting greens":D

19. Fishers of Men

Fishers of Men Senior Member

mushroomman, whats your canning recipe?

20. hardwaterfan

good luck mushroomman!