close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

SHROOMS! It's that time...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by WalleyeJones, Apr 16, 2008.

1. WalleyeJones

WalleyeJones Extra Long Member

I'm taking a half day tomorrow. The temps. are just right. I'll let you all know how it goes.

I prefer to hunt for morels from late morning on. They grow so fast, I like to let them get a chance to pop up. With so many deer around now, though, I think they beat me to them.

2. i was always told they are poiseness to animals and they don't get eaten at all by them?

3. zpyles - I interpreted his post as that the deer will destroy them. Although I don't believe they eat them, they darn sure walk on them crushing them into the mud. I find more than a couple nice areas with destroyed shrooms from the deer stepping on them.

It is time; we keep journals on our shroomin and the third week in April is very typical for us; April 11th is the earliest we have found decent amounts. You always here of a couple here and there, but I am talking about finding a batch. This is in the central and SW part of the state.

I plan to do some peeking myself Friday in the early producing spots.

4. I_WALL_I

I_WALL_I Member

Shrooms and crappie and suds = HEAVEN!! :p

5. JTRESS

JTRESS consistently confused

I was checking my Calender from last year, and I was finding them at this time. Anyhow, Monday night went out to the home farm to take a look around, nothing, the woods is really behind right now. not much greenery at all. Did not even find any early black sponge in any of our normal early spots.:S

6. WalleyeJones

Actually, I've found them in various conditions that I can't explain. I can't say they were trampled, but they were partial mushrooms that looked as if they were bitten off about half way up. You got me!?! Either way, they weren't any use to me.

egg wash, cracker crumbs, then fried in butter and olive oil. The olive oil keeps the butter from burning. Fantastic.

7. WalleyeJones

I've never been diligent enough to keep logs on a calendar, but that's a great idea. I remember (and commented on a previous thread) finding mushrooms on Easter Sunday several years ago. Morels are finnicky. I think I'll not only record the date, but also the conditions. If I was really anal, it probably would be even better to record the conditions a couple days prior to actually finding them also.

8. WalleyeJones - we don't have anything fancy. We got started because my dad had a piece of paper where he started writing down the year and the first date he found mushrooms. He still keeps this paper under the glass cover for his home desk. For several years this is all it contained - year and date. I started adding info on # and type of shrooms and a notes column on my own journal. Haven't been the best on the notes, but it does have temp for some years back to 1994.

In a typical year (whatever that means:) ), we start finding them the 3rd week in April. Have found them as late as second week of June also. Typically starts 3rd week in April and fizzles out 3rd or 4th week in May due to dry conditions and/or too much growth. Because of the journal, I do have a good idea of where to spend my time during the season - some spots come on later than others. I have several spots on public land that I've been able to locate due to lack of permission on private the last 7-10 years.

I am hoping to secure a very shroomy private woods this year!!! The gent is getting up in age and has a really bad knee. He has refused everybody for years to keep the place to himself. I think I have him convinced to let me in there for a 50/50 split!!!! I'll head directly form the woods to his house - would make a good deal for the both of us.

9. I checked last now near Nelsonville and the woods are bare. Looks like they woods are about a week or two behind. Even the Mayapples are just coming up.

10. I've found them like that where turkeys knock them down, breaking them to get the bugs. One year I stood at the bottom of a hill looking up for turkey scratchings. Found 'shrooms in several of them.