close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Shroomin'

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Froggy, Apr 10, 2004.

1. I've talked to a couple of guys within the past few weeks about taking a group of beginners out shroomin'. It'll be at least 2-3 more weeks (up north) before they start poppin'. Anyone wanna go? Let me know....just post here and I'll get back to ya.

I'm going to do some scouting first so you newbie's can bag a few while I try to get you to understand where to look. The hunt will take place in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park up around Akron and I will probably take out several groups of 3-5 per. The season usually lasts for 3-5 weeks, so if you can't make it one weekend there'll be opportunity to go on another.

BTW....It's FREE too!!!! :D

2. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Im in. Are we gonna meet down by the bridge? I think thats a good idea, lots of parking and room to roam.

Let me know if theres anything you want me to bring.

How many bushel baskets should I bring for the mushrooms? Is 5 enough? I could get more.... :D :D :D

JK...Id be happy if I could just find one.

3. I'm not sure where we'll meet and probaly won't know untill a few days before the hunt....it all depends on where they pop up. I'll keep posting here to let you know of any progress with scouting. Once I find them, we'll have to get 'em within a few days or the bugs will get them first.

4. hardwaterfan

Sounds good. Hopefully a few of us fhoghfofohhogffofoh'ers can meet up.

Thanks for scouting for us.

5. Your post is one that is really helpful. Out of writing for a paper about the out-of-doors. Mushroom hunting and what to do and where to go is third highest on the return e-mail list.
    I sometimes wonder if it's a lost art seeing that not much about instruction is ever heard of.
    Around the office it's common knowledge that the One who offers the chance to learn , is the one who is truly an expert.
    Look forward to reading your reports.
    Happy Easter,
    JimG

6. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds like a great idea frogspoon, nothings better than having a season vet show ya the ropes. I personally stick at shroom hunting. I live in a great part of the state to find them, and I can't find any!

7. Is there anyway to combine threads? I brought this one back up because some of the same questions are being asked on another. Maybe a Mushroom and other wild edibles Forum????????

8. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

we need a hunting forum to be up and running b/c shroom season is almost upon us.

9. Does anyone know of any advice for mushroom hunting around Heuston Woods in SW Ohio? I fish at 4-mile creek all the time, and was wondering if I might be able to find any shrooms.

10. Dan, Anywhere along the creek where there is a flat to slightly sloped area would be good for mushrooms. Look in areas with other undergrowth like trillium, grape vines, may apples, ramps(wild leeks), ferns etc. There have been a very few highly isolated finds in Ohio, but good numbers are begining to be found in N. Carolina and Tennessee. The season usually moves North at about 15 mile per day so I'd start hunting in southern Ohio in about 1-2 weeks.

11. Update:
    I'd start hunting NOW in Southern Ohio and in 1 week up North. Did some scouting today and everything is in excellent condition...not to wet and not to dry. Things are greening up pretty quick and I'm betting it's going to be a great year for morels.

I'll plan a day for the hunt as soon as they pop.

12. Every year it seems like they're running late, but it's actually the painfull anticipation of their arrival that makes it such a long wait.

They up in Northern Ohio!!!! Anyone wanna go huntin'? By mid-week they should be about prime. Post here or pm me.

13. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I can't seem to make myself get out there and loog for them, not to mention I've saw a few ticks now and if you know me, I HATE ticks!

14. hardwaterfan

Well I went out looking around today after work and found some neat looking mushrooms although I didnt find any morchella (morels) I did happen to come across a real nice (although rotten - from last fall) sparassis crispa (sheepshead/cauliflower fungus). It was 14" in diameter so Ill be making some soup this fall (I hope!) if a new fruit makes itself available. (Thats the only kind of wild mushroom Ive ever eaten. My Mom used to make real good soup out of it.) And also i found some interesting looking tremella foliacea (jelly leaf), although it was a lot darker than it looks in the books. And I noted some stereum hirsutum (Hairy Stereum)was all over the place.

Also lo and behold there is a mushroom growin in one of my flower beds which I cant tell what it is, it LOOKS like a bunch of hirneola auricula-judae (Jews ear) all mashed together in a big clump. (But I dont know just WHAT it is) It has a very appealing, woodsy, earthy smell.

Before any of you fungus pros rip me a new hole for making any mistakes above, (lol) remember, im just an enthusiastic beginner!

Any of you who ever thought it would be cool to get a mushroom book and try to identify some mushrooms just for fun, it is! I'll never look at fungus the same way again, they are fascinating.

Frog, do you have any outings planned yet? I usually get off work around 4 or 5. Or maybe we could hit it this weekend. Let me know if you want me to bring anything.

If some other guys on here want to come, that would be great!

*ummm....of course, just like ice fishing, dont go out on the ice unless your sure its safe, and dont eat any mushrooms unless your sure its safe, you could die.

15. HDF, sounds like you found some wood ear and false morels. They (true morels) just popped Friday/Saturday and should be up real good by the weekend. I'll pm you with a time and place...probably Saturday A.M.

the invitation is open to all members. Nuwbies are most welcome as this is designed to be a learning experience and not so much a gathering one. I will take you to the area's which are most likely to produce and then let you find them.

16. hardwaterfan

Thank you Froggy. As you said, i dont care if I find any, but I would like to learn more about where to look.

Saturday or Sunday morning would be great for me.

If anyone is interested in checking out a mushroom book from the library, Ill make it easy for you, the call number is 579.603

17. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

This nice yellow was found in southeast ohio last weekend 12 inches tall.

Attached Files:

18. WOW! That is one big mushroom! Did you find many of them that size?

19. Nice Giant.....2 or 3 a year is all I've ever found (that size)
    I've been scouting and only found about 20 or so...hopefully this rain today will kick 'em into gear.