Ohio Game Fishing banner

181 - 200 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
16,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Creek Chub Pikie Minnow #718 Silver Flash. Based on stamped lip with no reinforcement ribs, glass eyes, and single slotted screw to hold lip, I believe this is from mid 20’s to mid 30’s. In very good condition
View attachment 354745
Wow.. Almost 100 years old...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I have also had a vast collection of old fishing tackle sold it and I have been picking up some baits as I go along. When I sold I had a gentleman that wanted some baits bad, George Richey from the Detroit area. Told him all or none to shut his mouth, well he came down and spent 8 hours at my home, this was like 15-20 years ago baits were at a premium. At the end he gave me $5,000.00 was our negotiated settlement. Wow. Now all along my wife stayed out of the whole thing. So giving it a little time for that money to fester in my pocket. I went to Jaqua's and bought 2 Benelli Super Black Eagle, I started to feel bad for my bride and I had a moment where I said dear remember the guy that looked at my fishing lures, yea she says, well I sold him the baits, yea again. Well here is the $600.00 I got from the sale. She looked amazed and said what a fool to pay $600.00 for that junk. She is gone (passed) but still gives me a smile when I think of old lures.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Many years aqo I fell in love with the Black ABU Garcia Ambassadeur XLT series of reels. Best bait caster ever made (just my openion).. I bet over the years I have gave half dozen or more away to family and friends. Since lock down I have been buying a few more..
good.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I inherited 2 years ago from my wife’s uncle who ran a fishing lodge in Manitoba. Ambasssdeur 521 XLT plus. Both in excellent condition with original boxes. Am I missing something by not fishing with them? Just always used Diawa spinning reels since I was a kid. They appear to have a flipping switch on them. Should I keep them and not use them for possible future sale?

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
..your lure is a Clark Water Scout
Thank you.
I don't have much and most of the old lures I have were found in area streams while fishing.
20200501_165722.jpg
Some runts.
20200501_165746.jpg

Spin hula dancers and heddon tiny pumpkin seed.
I would probably actually catch some fish if I didn't spend soooo much time looking on the shore for lures.
Thanks n good luck and good fishing.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
20200501_173347.jpg

Before he past, my father caught a lot of nice fish on that Injured minnow and I'd give everything to see him catch just one more on it.
20200501_172746.jpg

20200501_170854.jpg
20200501_170918.jpg

I found this in a pay lake in the 70's, my father liked it and displayed in on our mantle for many years and I've had it hanging in the jaw of a mounted hybrid since his passing.
Any idea of make or name ?
Thanks n good luck and good fishing !

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Thank you.
I don't have much and most of the old lures I have were found in area streams while fishing.
View attachment 355041 Some runts.
View attachment 355043
Spin hula dancers and heddon tiny pumpkin seed.
I would probably actually catch some fish if I didn't spend soooo much time looking on the shore for lures.
Thanks n good luck and good fishing.
garhtr,,, just a tip for retrieving lures from trees or under water when they are out of your reach.. if you carry a boat hook in your boat, try tying a handkerchief on the boat hook and reaching up and getting the handkerchief tangled in the lure hooks.. most times the lure will break free from the branches,, You will get some bent treble hooks that way, but hooks are cheaper than lures..:)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
View attachment 355047
Before he past, my father caught a lot of nice fish on that Injured minnow and I'd give everything to see him catch just one more on it.
View attachment 355049
View attachment 355051 View attachment 355053
I found this in a pay lake in the 70's, my father liked it and displayed in on our mantle for many years and I've had it hanging in the jaw of a mounted hybrid since his passing.
Any idea of make or name ?
Your bait is a bug N bass from the Buckeye Bait Co. of Ohio. It is collectible and Rainbow Trout is a desirable color. John

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
Your bait is a bug N bass from the Buckeye Bait Co
Thank you I've wondered for years what it was. I wanted to fish with it but my dad put it on our mantle with some old duck decoys, glad I didn't, probably would've lost it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the same bass n bug but obviously not trout pattern. These were all hand-me-downs from my Grandfather who passed in 1974. I've had them ever since. I caught a big smallie up in Canada on the spinner and retired it. It was a nod to my Grandpa and it won't see the water any more. It will be going in a shadow box with some other old lures I have from him. These are just a few.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have the same bass n bug but obviously not trout pattern. These were all hand-me-downs from my Grandfather who passed in 1974. I've had them ever since. I caught a big smallie up in Canada on the spinner and retired it. It was a nod to my Grandpa and it won't see the water any more. It will be going in a shadow box with some other old lures I have from him. These are just a few.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk
Love those Lazy Ike's.... Best lure ever made... JMHO

Reactions: PBsQuest

·
Angler/ Sportsman
183 Posts
The decoys and spears can be found in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin basically anywhere ice spear fishing took place. When I travel those area I hit garage sales, flea markets and bait shops and ask around. A lot of the stuff is in the corner of someone's garage or basement and they are willing sell because it's not being used.
I bet that guys in those areas are always getting pressure from their 'better' halves to " get rid of that old junk". Which is lucky for some who collect and are in right place right time.

·
1,885 Posts
I am away from home at the moment, has anyone ever heard of a multiple joint lure called a "beeno" yellow black dots. Ill get a pic up tuesday hopefully.

Yep, caught a lot of bass at Leesville and Tappan on the "Beno". Used to take the back sections off and use it as a one piece lure also.

181 - 200 of 247 Posts