Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some work to do on the reels but I thought I'd share my Pfluegers (50-60's) Shimano Bantams from the 80's, my Cree Duks, Weber Muskrats, Plummer Frogs and my Lure case with some oldies. Anybody want to share some of their antiques or old fishing and hunting stuff?
007.JPG
008.JPG
001.JPG
002.JPG

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here are a few of my Redifor Reels from the Redifor Rod +Reel Co., Warren, Ohio. They were in business from 1904 to 1918. They are known for their quality tackle, especially fishing and tournament reels.
I wonder what kind of tournaments they had 100 years ago? Have you ever put modern line on those and tried them out? Those are really cool and to think they are a 100 years old. WOW.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I wonder what kind of tournaments they had 100 years ago? Have you ever put modern line on those and tried them out? Those are really cool and to think they are a 100 years old. WOW.
Tournament casting was a major sport at the turn of the century. Distance, accuracy, fly casting, etc...were well attended by participants and spectators alike. Tournament casting clubs still exist today. John

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tournament casting was a major sport at the turn of the century. Distance, accuracy, fly casting, etc...were well attended by participants and spectators alike. Tournament casting clubs still exist today. John
Thanks John...Ever watch those old youtude vidoes from the 50's of some casting champion. I forget who he was but pretty impressive with that old equipment.

Reactions: sherman51

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here it is...

·
Registered
5,389 Posts
Very cool Snakecharmer. It will be fun to look at what gets posted. I don't collect old fishing items, but do have a few things around here including one of these ducks. Was thinking about putting this and a few older items on E-Bay a while back and never did.
38d9853d-ed69-4845-a710-7ff6c75a38b0.jpe

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool Snakecharmer. It will be fun to look at what gets posted. I don't collect old fishing items, but do have a few things around here including one of these ducks. Was thinking about putting this and a few older items on E-Bay a while back and never did.
View attachment 209243
The Duk's have been hot lately going for $30 - 60. The guy who made them was from Oregon Ohio, Bill Szabo.

Reactions: sherman51

·
Registered
435 Posts
Did anybody ever actually catch any fish back in the days chucking a rubber ducky with a treble hook attached?? LOL our forefathers must have stopped at the market to buy fish on the way home and made up some fish stories! :D

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did anybody ever actually catch any fish back in the days chucking a rubber ducky with a treble hook attached?? LOL our forefathers must have stopped at the market to buy fish on the way home and made up some fish stories! :D
There's some cool youtube videos of pike attacking ducklings though.

·
Registered
16,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Reactions: Decoy hound

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The decoys and spears can be found in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin basically anywhere ice spear fishing took place. When I travel those area I hit garage sales, flea markets and bait shops and ask around. A lot of the stuff is in the corner of someone's garage or basement and they are willing sell because it's not being used.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts