Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Hey 20, for what its worth, there are a few down there but many ( let me repeat MANY) people fish there for them and the fishing has slowed over the last few years as I think as more folks catch one, they are apt to keep and eat or show them off, really sad. Anyways in about 25 trips down there, I have taken 1, a 10 lber, I have taken many channels though but youll learn real quick the place is chock full of tackle stealing rocks so be sure to bring every sinker, leader, swivels and hooks you own. The further downstream closer to the Ohio, the better the flathead fishing is. ( less pressure as well)
Like all good deep holes near dams, there are tales of 30+ lbers and Im sure 1 or 2 have been taken over the years but I have never seen any bigger then the one i caught. ( including the other 50 times I have fished for bass and sugeyes there)
Salmonid

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. i have been fishing that dam for 20 years. i grew up in wc. i live about 1 mile from it. so i fish there almost every night.as for the snags, thats what my cheap walmart tackle is for. i was curious about the shovelhead in there cause not many people pull them out.if you see an old chevy beretta with a tony stewart license plate frame on it,thats me. thanks.

jason

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
oh they are in there, maybe even a few pushing 40lb or more. problem with that hole is it is SO full of large chunks on concrete, wood, and metal from when the dam was blown up. you cast a line out in there and 9 times out of 9 that swirling current is going to blow you into snags where your gonna lose your rig:( . i have tried every rig imaginable to try and overcome those snags but nothing seems to work, just have to be lucky and hope your bait isnt hung up when a hungry flattie comes cruisin by. i may fish there once or twice a year anymore, that is one frustrating and hard to figure out spot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts