close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

shovel sheepheads 6/12/04

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by winkstyle, Jul 13, 2004.

1. cought my 2nd sciota shovelhead of the year yes folks in columbus.they are in the river u just gotta find them.also cought about twenty sheap heads what fun there is nothin like a sheep head fight. all fish where cought on hard craws last two hours of day light. :D [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. i must have drank some river water

3. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

...I sure hope your releasing them....or they wont be around much longer

Attached Files:

4. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

i don't know if they are edible, but sheephead are fun to catch. they fight like smallies. of course, since i would not eat anything out of the scioto, i'll never know. what a nasty, greasy river. only good for big fish, catch and release.

5. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

From what I have heard (through my friends at the EPA) the scioto has made a major comeback ...and is in relitivley good shape......only problem is that people cant seem to forget about the dublin sewer problem ...that WAS FIXED about 8 years ago. A buddy of mine eats saugeye out of there almost evey week....he has worked for the EPA for about 3 years....The scioto does have some pollution problems...but most of them are agricultural I.E. soil run off/erosion There are some bad spots..mostly up twoards deleware, and the up in the little scioto...which is a VERY NASTY river...from what I am told...But from Oshay to Greenlawn is fairly decent water.

6. dfoxfish

dfoxfish chairbustintruckdrowner

i've seen the scum on my neighbors sons boat from the scioto. i'm not eating anything out of that river!!

7. Having grown up on Lake Erie it amazes me how much more appreciate folks in central Ohio are of sheephead. Up on the lake people get excited about catching something until they see its a sheephead and then they won't even touch them to get them off the hook. One guy I fished with once wouldn't even let them into his boat because they were "G.D. slimmy bastards!" (pardon my language, just quoting.) If you pulled a sheephead out of the water he kept a large machette like knife handy and would beat the fish till it came off the hook. Granted, he was a bit extreme. But I for one enjoy the fight they put up. And yes, you can eat them. The trick is to put them on ice immediately. You can't let them sit on a stringer. Also, the sooner you eat them th better. You really don't want them sitting in the freezer too long. As for eating them out of the Scioto, I'll leave that to the locals to debate.

Jef

8. u crack me up with some of the stuff u say on here.greenlawn clean u must not fish it .everytime i go there i see rubbers and tampons floatin by me . there are also more flatties in the river than u think,u just gotta know how to find them.

9. Mushijobah

Mushijobah Urban Angler

Answer me this. How is a fish that swims in possibly contaminated (sewage) water going to hurt you? I dont know about you guys, but I like to cook my fish before I eat them.

10. FISHERLADY

FISHERLADY Fish OH Master Angler

LOL... I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I have fished there (still do when waters not up). There is a lot of debris there. Nasty... lol. BUT, there are some BIG fish there. I don't eat fish, just love catching em' and releasing. I love the fight of a good fish. ;) Me and striperman have caught various fish there. I particularly remember the aggressive gar that we would catch. They were a good fight. There is good saugeye too. Fishing there is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get. LOL. I have caught big ones there and dinkers too.

11. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

winkstyle...the scioto is in relatively good shape...but there are some problematic spots...such as greenlawn. The olentangy (or old n' grungy) has numerous CSO's (combined sewage overflows) that periodically spew raw sewage into the olentangy...which then dumps into the scioto @ confluence park. You will find some nasty debris downstream of the confluence..however this is only a small representation of the scioto. Due South of 270 is when the river begins to prosper, and there are smaller sections north of greenlawn that are still in good shape (post office damn to griggs.....161 to oshay etc.) As for flatheads...you are right...there are alot in the scioto....But the only reason they are in the scioto is because they came up from the ohio river. Greenlawn dam is the last dam on the scioto...and what is above that dam stays above that dam. I.E. flatheads can only migrate up to greenlawn (from the ohio) If you catch most of the flatheads above green lawn ( or above the post office dam) you drastically decrease the chances of reproduction. Flatheads are a large solitary predator....and there can only be so many flatheads per stretch of river...If you catch and keep 4-8 flatheads from the same 4 mile stretch of river you can literally wipe out a population within a 12 month time frame....please catch and release.....eat the channels!

12. If you like a lot of junk along the banks, trash and unmentionables in the water then the Scioto is the way to go! There are some nice fish to catch but it will never be on the cover of a fishing calander!

Flatheads are native to the Ohio and most of it's tribs...including the Scioto and Old-n-tangy.

13. acklac7

acklac7 S.S.

There are a few sections north of the greenlawn that I fish on a daily basis.....These sections contain about 7 pieces of trash/artificial debris per 1/2 mile.....And every time I see trash I pick it up...and guess what? There literally is no trash/debris on the sections of the scioto that I fish...Now the easy access points such as greenlawn (which makes me sick) and below oshay & griggs will have a bunch of **** everywhere....but if you take some time and find a spot that most people would consider inaccessible you will find that the scioto is a beautiful river...Buy a machete and go exploring....the scioto is full of surprises.